Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 700r4 with an advance adapters kit to a D300.
Rolled, and stripped out the 4 holes that hold the adapter to the transmission

Getting ready to tear it down, and wondering if it would be worthwhile to just tap them to 7/16 coarse, or if I should just helicoil it and keep the 3/8 hardware that was there.

I know why it failed, and am fixing that as well, but wouldnt mind the extra security since the 700r4 only has 4 bolts instead of the 6 like a th400 has.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I have a 4l60e with AA adapter to dana 300 in my toyota. I'm not quite as hard on shit as you are but I have been known to get pretty stupid. I have not had a problem in 2 years of wheeling with the adapter getting loose.

I think a corrected mount you'll be fine.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly tapping it bigger would be easier ;)

I dont have helicoils any more, and have to buy new studs anyways, and have the 7/16 tap.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
are you tapping into the aluminum? is there enough space to run a 7/16 steel threaded insert so that you can run the 7/16" hardware, but use ~whateverthefuck larger dia threads a 7/16" timesert uses into the aluminum?

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. Factory studs are tapped right into the aluminum.

I havent pulled it apart to see how much room there is, hence the post. Been a while since I've stared at the back of one.

I'm leaning towards just tapping the aluminum bigger, I dont think there is enough meat for a 7/16 insert, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Yup. Factory studs are tapped right into the aluminum.

I havent pulled it apart to see how much room there is, hence the post. Been a while since I've stared at the back of one.

I'm leaning towards just tapping the aluminum bigger, I dont think there is enough meat for a 7/16 insert, but I could be wrong.
Chances are a 3/8 helicoil tap is bigger than 7/16th anyhow. So might as well just tap 7/16 and roll with it.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
Chances are a 3/8 helicoil tap is bigger than 7/16th anyhow. So might as well just tap 7/16 and roll with it.
helicoil 3/8-16 insert uses drill bit 25/64 or 0.390"

helicoil 7/16-14 insert uses 29/64 or 0.453"

3/8-16 tap uses drill 5/16 or 0.3125"

7/16-14 tap uses drill U or 0.368"

I cheated and looked them up :p

so yeah, hell you'd probably get a better bite and hold using a 3/8" bolt with an insert. for some reason i can't find a keensert chart online :confused:

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts

·
Banned
672 Posts
Taking notes from the VW world...

On the early cases, 10mm head studs were used. They were notorious for stripping out of the head. The solution was to use a time-sert in the case with a smaller stud.

Doesn't sound like the fasteners were the issue. I would use time serts and call it a day.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Are you sure you didn't use the wrong hardware to begin with. Most of the 700s I've seen use 10mm bolts 1.5 pitch. The holes will not strip out in a roll-over without destroying or cracking the case

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure you didn't use the wrong hardware to begin with. Most of the 700s I've seen use 10mm bolts 1.5 pitch. The holes will not strip out in a roll-over without destroying or cracking the case
I used the hardware that was in there, which as far as I know came with the kit?
I assumed 3/8, Because the nuts are gold and 9/16 head. But I cant be sure, As far as I know though, 10mm use a 15mm wrench.

If thats the case, it would explain it, but I'm fairly certain that even if it was 10mm, the threads are too damaged to stay the same size, so I'll still have to step it up or use an insert.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts