Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what are you guys that are using 5 tons steering them with?
what size of ram (Diameter x stroke) and what kinda pumps are you feeding your orbital valves with? (eg Hydraulic unit from a small tractor or multiple automotive power steering pumps)
I've been helping out with a buddy that is building a superduty on a tube frame and 5 tons and 57" tall tractor tires. He only has dial-up :barf: and isn't sure how strong the steering needs to be. No others in our group of friends has experimented with 5 tons yet.
I have done some searching, but as always someone will most likely find something I haven't.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm getting ready to put one together too. I talked to a guy that just ran a factory Saginaw power steering pump to power his and it seemed to work fine but if you got the money to spend you can go all out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We are using a factory Saginaw P style pump with I believe a 2x12 single ended cylinder. Actually steers pretty quick for such a large ram.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
This is a very loaded question.

Need to know the specs on the orbital valve before I can give you any kind of educated answer. The short version is where you get in trouble with a stock pump is not pressure but flow. Some of the quicker orbital valves move fluid faster than a stock pump can supply it while the slower ones work just fine.

Derek

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
i have 5 tons under my crawler with hemmits and 46 in goodyears

stock chevy hydroboost pump
psc orbital
2.5 in x 12 in ram from surplus center....works great

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ho shots,
we aren't sure of what type of Orbital we are going to use yet (re-active or not) or may even tap a steering box from the JY :D which is what the previous rig on 2.5 tons ran :laughing:

theglassman,
the stock chev hydroboost pump, are they more of a pressure pump than flow pump? I had an idea of taking a diesel powersteering pump and putting a smaller than stock serpintine pulley on it to increase the rpm on the pump shaft to get more flow & pressure.

thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ho shots,
we aren't sure of what type of Orbital we are going to use yet (re-active or not) or may even tap a steering box from the JY :D which is what the previous rig on 2.5 tons ran :laughing:

theglassman,
the stock chev hydroboost pump, are they more of a pressure pump than flow pump? I had an idea of taking a diesel powersteering pump and putting a smaller than stock serpintine pulley on it to increase the rpm on the pump shaft to get more flow & pressure.

thanks for the replies guys

the pump was just somethin i had around.....it would seem that they would do somethin different than stock...lol..

i was told that a smaller pully would spin kill a stock pump at higher rpms
...i use a 4in pulley from a scout on mine.....made a big dif at really low rpms...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts