Votes: 14 37.8%
  • sky

Votes: 15 40.5%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal ... found a deal on a steering box and am playing on going to hi-steering soon. i plan on running my rears up front with some other leaves to make a 7 leaf pack. with this in mind and that my axle will move 2" forward.

what arms are the best bang for your buck?

ott arms - 345
allpro - 200
sky - 249

any others? these are the ones i could come up with off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
have had both all pro and sky... htey both do the same job but damn sky's looked sweet, they took some time on them.......and doesn't marlin sell sky's????

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Get SKY's. AP is now casting/forging (not sure which) their arms. For the $$, I'd much rather have a machined set. Sky's arms are a work of art.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I am pretty sure AP has the correct ackerman angle built into thier arms (good for when you street drive if you ever do) just make your own decision, visit all the webpages and search a bit, then sit down and work out what you want and how much money you have, decision making plays an important part in all our lives.

What is best for everyone on the boards may or may not be best for you.... decide for yourself.

·
Fabster
2,529 Posts
trailtoy is advertizing some on the for sale board for about $170. They are the cheepest one I know of. Rockstomper and Kongs sell some too. You have lots of choses.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks again randy for the tires ... let erik know i said thanks too

hey is that the guy that erik got his arms from?

·
Registered
398 Posts
IMO theres no doubting the quality of Sky and OTT arms, but for the $$ I went with AllPros arms. Over this last xmas they had their entire xover steering kit for $399 including rod ends and pitman arm. I have no complaints about them but like someone else mentioned, they are forged, not machined from a billet (chunk) of steel.

Heres a link to the install: http://81tsb.tripod.com/axleswap.htm

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
No offense but it seems to me that all the arms above as well as trail toy's arms do the job so if you are interested in function then I'd go with trailtoy cause they are the cheapest and also are tapped for chevy tie rods which I think are stronger than the fj80 ends and definitely more than the toy mini. I have them, they are damn beefy, and I know they will work like they are supposed to for me. If you are into looks, then spend the money and go OTT. Really though, they are just steering arms, if they work then who really cares if they are machined or cast/forged? Polished or painted. Beauty arms don't get you through the trail any better IMHO.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks Eric

·
Registered
986 Posts
I like OTTs but why are there arms 100us more than skys 150us more than allpro. thats a lot of $$ especially if your from canada like me:eek: :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have all-pros, they seem to work just fine,just buy the whole kit is the best way to go.:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: its only money

·
Registered
429 Posts
has anyone had problems with the AP pitman arm losing that bushing or breaking?

just shopping around for different steering systems..
thanks
Justin

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
ikeaboy said:
has anyone had problems with the AP pitman arm losing that bushing or breaking?

just shopping around for different steering systems..
thanks
Justin
I just broke a Marlin arm this last weekend and got a new one from All-Pro. Chris said that they haven't had any break.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I run shortened OTT arms. I tried the AP arms. Didn't fit my application and I was not overly impressed with the quality.

I would still pay more for something that was a bit nicer..

·
Registered
429 Posts
just trying to figure out which kit to go with for my SAS..

there's allpro with their modified pitman and all FJ80 ends.. (thats why i was asking about the pitman arm having trouble)

then sky with their adapter to use the stock pitman. advantage to theirs is pitmans can be had in junkyards for cheap.. but if allpro's never breaks when why would i need one.

im trying to build up the truck to be relatively self sufficient (ie, most parts that can/will/might break can be bought at any parts store) since i plan to be on the road for months at a time in it.

cost is so close it's a non-issue.

and i highly doubt i will put the truck through enough abuse to really -need- billet arms

1 - 20 of 20 Posts