Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
First time I ever heard of that, our trucks all seemed to tighten up and drive better with a more precise steering feel (not a miata by any stretch of imagination but better than stock). Only thing is we didnt upgrade the box on any of them, just the steering style and brace but I dont see a box causing problems your having.

·
Registered
60 Posts
With the cummins I suggest doing it, along with the newer style steering upgrade. It makes a noticeable difference in steering feel and eliminates bump steer and death wobble.
I just did this "steering upgrade" along with the brace, new ball joints and a new steering stablizer. Now, I have bump steer, death wobble and it wanders like crazy. Yes it's been aligned along with new Toyos. I hate the way it drives now. I never had those problems with the "old style" steering. I also did new track bar bushings at the same time. The truck only has 132k on it.
You should really check your control arms for play. When the whole system is worn out generally it just feels soft all around as DW doesn’t show up. Replace a few items with new and it goes crazy with DW, I think you’re in the right direction but likely need new upper and lower control arms. I went through the exact same process but also decided to replace the box (oem) and steering shaft (borgeson) while I was at it. I also added 10ply new tires and then I could really feel the control arms moving- I could move them with a flathead side to side and that was 120k miles.

Sorry to hijack- but I also hear the box brace is due to the lame roller bearings in the box allowing shaft play. I’m adding a brace very soon just to feel better.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You should really check your control arms for play. When the whole system is worn out generally it just feels soft all around as DW doesn’t show up. Replace a few items with new and it goes crazy with DW, I think you’re in the right direction but likely need new upper and lower control arms. I went through the exact same process but also decided to replace the box (oem) and steering shaft (borgeson) while I was at it. I also added 10ply new tires and then I could really feel the control arms moving- I could move them with a flathead side to side and that was 120k miles.

Sorry to hijack- but I also hear the box brace is due to the lame roller bearings in the box allowing shaft play. I’m adding a brace very soon just to feel better.
It feels better as far as steering input but it wanders like crazy. I get DW at weird times like in a long sweeper curve that is rough. It's not super bad like I have to pull over but it's enough to make me go "wth was that?!" before I realize what's happening. I couldn't drive it over 50mph until I put the new stabilizer on. It's been a frustrating ordeal. The truck drove fine before but I could feel some slop in the front end which is why I changed everything. I will into those control arm bushings

·
Oh Jesus Tits....
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
did you lift too? with my BDS lift you can't get enough caster in it to meet factory spec and the steering return to center has been compromised some...more annoying than anything

·
Registered
798 Posts
I just received the mopar HD box that I referenced to earlier in the post. It wasn't cheap. The sector shaft is massive though. I am going to swap my Borgeson box for this and see how it goes. I have a brace for the Borgeson, and also PSC hydro assist, but I feel neither of those should be needed on a properly sized box, so I am pursuing the right solution first

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I just received the mopar HD box that I referenced to earlier in the post. It wasn't cheap. The sector shaft is massive though. I am going to swap my Borgeson box for this and see how it goes. I have a brace for the Borgeson, and also PSC hydro assist, but I feel neither of those should be needed on a properly sized box, so I am pursuing the right solution first
Just to confirm... you are goin to put the box from the amazon link on a 2nd gen truck?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just to confirm... you are goin to put the box from the amazon link on a 2nd gen truck?
Correct.

PSC sells a box that looks like that for a 2nd gen. Looking at the picture, I see it has spacers, but also the sector shaft looks like it has been machine smaller (check the link). The shaft on mine is full size all the way to the end. Not sure why they did that, seems like a waste to machine the splined portion smaller.

98-02 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 BIG BORE XD Steering Gear

I don't want hydro assist on a 100% stock vehicle, and when doing a test mockup of the steering brace, it looked to be hanging down too low. Maybe it being a bright red made it more obvious, but I just didn't want to add a low hanging part, it looks funny.

I will be certain to update once I start on the install, but the sheer size of this thing is NIGHT and DAY vs even my Borgeson box.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Correct.

PSC sells a box that looks like that for a 2nd gen. Looking at the picture, I see it has spacers, but also the sector shaft looks like it has been machine smaller (check the link). The shaft on mine is full size all the way to the end. Not sure why they did that, seems like a waste to machine the splined portion smaller.

98-02 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 BIG BORE XD Steering Gear

I don't want hydro assist on a 100% stock vehicle, and when doing a test mockup of the steering brace, it looked to be hanging down too low. Maybe it being a bright red made it more obvious, but I just didn't want to add a low hanging part, it looks funny.

I will be certain to update once I start on the install, but the sheer size of this thing is NIGHT and DAY vs even my Borgeson box.
I would like to know your results when you get them. Right now I have a autozone box on mine, and still have about an inch of play I would like to get rid of. Everything else is new though.

What I would also be curious of, and if anyone makes a drop Pittman arm for this box.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to have someone move the steering wheel with the truck stationary and off, crawl underneath, and see where the play is coming from. In my case, I could literally see the pitman arm flex the shaft inside the (new) box. There was no play in my case - the smallest movement of the steering wheel translated to the sector shaft turning, but the whole pitman/sector shaft flexed a bit before the wheels started moving. Stock '97cummins 3500, no lift stock size tires.

Your case may be different, so I would check instead of throwing money at it, but if you have a cummins - the stock steering box is DEFINITELY undersize for the weight/size of the truck

Blue top > Redhead, but even they told me the size is a problem and with a cummins you need at least a brace.

I need to get to it sometme soon. Got a bunch of parts waiting to be put on the truck.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to have someone move the steering wheel with the truck stationary and off, crawl underneath, and see where the play is coming from. In my case, I could literally see the pitman arm flex the shaft inside the (new) box. There was no play in my case - the smallest movement of the steering wheel translated to the sector shaft turning, but the whole pitman/sector shaft flexed a bit before the wheels started moving. Stock '97cummins 3500, no lift stock size tires.

Your case may be different, so I would check instead of throwing money at it, but if you have a cummins - the stock steering box is DEFINITELY undersize for the weight/size of the truck

Blue top > Redhead, but even they told me the size is a problem and with a cummins you need at least a brace.

I need to get to it sometme soon. Got a bunch of parts waiting to be put on the truck.
It is a Cummins and it’s the box for sure. I have replaced everything else already and upgraded to T style steering. Now instead of half a wheel I am down to the last inch.

·
Registered
547 Posts

my 96 has really tight steering but it wanders fucking everywhere. Got a new track bar, drag link and tie rod going in next weekend with a 2" level and bilstein 5100s. hopefully it helps it out. I wanted to do the 3rd gen steering and track bar upgrade but funds down allow for now.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well fuck me, the box I bought thinking is NEW, is a REMAN

:mad3::mad3::mad3: fucking sleazy sellers selling reman shit as new :mad3:

this one is going back. I want a new one, since I am paying this kind of money.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
my 96 has really tight steering but it wanders fucking everywhere. Got a new track bar, drag link and tie rod going in next weekend with a 2" level and bilstein 5100s. hopefully it helps it out. I wanted to do the 3rd gen steering and track bar upgrade but funds down allow for now.
Have you tried checking your caster?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
steerandgear
These people will bore out the gear, and install a full length bronze bushing in place of the factory needle bearings that the pitman shaft rides in. I have installed three of them in customer's trucks without issue.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the steering brace from DT Profab on my 1999 Ram 4x4 2500,but its same as those just the crossbar is round tube instead of square.
Its more to keep the sector shaft on botom of steering gear from moving side to side and wearing more by adding a second bearing below the pitman arm. The brace would eliminate steering gear/frame flex but thats more an issue with Jeeps.
This brace holds the extra bearing block in place and thats how it removes play from steering.My steering was a little loose and got worse I put the brace on and it realy tigtened up steering alot better than new .
I also have the DT Profab track bar and that made a huge differance.
I did the track bar upgrade first then a few years later added the steering brace.So they both do alot to give remove play for way better steering.

·
Oh Jesus Tits....
2,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
as the OP, I'm 2 years in with all the BDS parts and the steering box brace, with no issues. Not a lot of hardcore wheeling, but the truck is hauling around a slide in camper all the time and I'm running 35s.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts