Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
83 Jeep CJ7 Power steering box:

Should say: AGR Rebuilt stock replacement type box

When turning the box (no power, tires off the ground) there now seem to be a tight spot in the box right when the pitman arm is centered left to right.

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause it? Box need to be rebuilt?

Thanks

Jim

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
i have no help other than I have the stock one that come of my 83' laying around that i'll let go cheap if you decide you dont want to fawk with it.

Make me an offer.

·
Registered
657 Posts
rkcrawl said:
83 Jeep CJ7 Power steering box:

Should say: AGR Rebuilt stock replacement type box

When turning the box (no power, tires off the ground) there now seem to be a tight spot in the box right when the pitman arm is centered left to right.

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause it? Box need to be rebuilt?

Thanks

Jim
What is a tight spot - just a little bind or pretty tough...

The over center portion of the sector shaft to piston gear contact is the smallest backlash level - you want to check it with the tire off the ground and the motor off - you should feel a slight bind across center but only very slight -

If you feel it is really stiff across the center you need to loosen the lock nut on the top cap while holding the threaded shaft with an allen key - turn the threaded shaft counterclockwise(viewed from the top) (unscrewing it) a little bit (1/8-1/4 turn) and check the over center lash again - when you get a setting you like just hold the threaded shaft with the allen key and tighten the lock nut...

Basically you can think of it like this: the teeth in both the sector shaft and the piston are cut at an angle - by screwing the threaded shaft in you are decreasing the backlash (driving the the two pieces towards each other) By unscrewing this shaft you are opening up the backlash value - do not set the backlash too tight as you can cause the upper cap to split in two as the sector shaft comes across center (ask me how I know) - experiance is knowledge earned the hard way...

Matt

·
Team *******
786 Posts
yeah,... what he said.

if that doesn't fix it give me a call and we'll figure it out.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replys. I will give above a try. This hard spot is something new that wasn't there before and when it gets to center, you can feel a distinct hard drag through center in both directions, then it frees right up . Box went through a lot this season in the ERoCC comps.

If above doesn't work out, I will give a call...

Thanks

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts