Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IFS box puked today and I lost power steering while at hollister.....Its comming out on the top cover plate with the 4 bolts....

Is there a gasket or felt or what used as a gasket/seal.....Can I even pull the cover? is there anything underneigth it that would hinder my pulling the cover?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I'm having the same problem. It was puking from the adjustment stud. I pulled the top off thinking there was a seal inside the box that blew. There is not. The washer with the gasket under the set nut is it. I replaced it and it stopped leaking unless it gets really hot. I think we need external coolers.

Hope this helps....

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: Yarddog ]

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where is the set screw??? its dark and I dont know where my manual is right now... it was a hot day today so...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The set screw is on the top of the box in the center. Mine is in an 85 Runner. I have to pull the filter box and the radiator reservoir to get to it. Make sure you bleed it properly when you fll it.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Two things I can think of:
- Bleeding like Yarddog suggests
- Did you have the steering box disconnected lately and not properly center it upon installation?
- A friend of mine added an IFS box to his 85 when he did X-over steering and had the same problem. He returned the box and got another one and it did the same. He later found out that it was not centered properly and he then disconnected the drop drag link and centered it and the problem went away.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts