Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI-Need to rebuild your IFS steering box. You can get the seal kit from Toyota. Here is the PN for the box on my 90. Cost, around $50.00. :grinpimp:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
i remember there being more discussion in this thread...deleted for why?
is this the complete rebuild kit or is the guy from texas mentioned here the guy to get it from?

::edit:: from the website since the link is being picky...
The first thing you need is a seal kit. The only place in the known universe to get a complete kit is from:
John A. Vargus
[email protected]
P.O. Box 201195
Austin, Texas 78720

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not know if John is still selling them. When I bought mine from him, it was complete OEM parts.

The PN I pictured was for a later style and it was complete.

I know nothing about the aftermarket kit, but I do know that when I bought an aftermarket from NAPA for my PS pump it was a POS and started leaking two days later. Purchased a OEM kit from the dealer and it was still going strong a couple of years later when I took it off and put the PSC TC pump on.

These kits only come with all the seals, nothing else like bearings or parts for the relife valve.

·
Premium Member
5,257 Posts
Can anyone confirm that this kit works on '86-'89 steering boxes? I called my local dealer and they told me the seals are only available individually. I've got a call into my preferred dealer to see if they have any better info.

·
Registered
439 Posts
my local dealer told me the same thing but you give them the part # on the bag and they will show it and want mucho cashola. trdparts4u.com has it for 40 bux. the kit is the same for all ifs boxes 86-95.5 all the orings/seals inside are identical as far as i have seen. i pinched the piston o ring on my early 86-88 box when i tapped it. i had a late 89-95.5 box that had a leaky input seal so i pulled the o ring off and used it after comming to the conclusion that all the seals matched up including the input (sector shaft) seal.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
my local dealer told me the same thing but you give them the part # on the bag and they will show it and want mucho cashola. trdparts4u.com has it for 40 bux. the kit is the same for all ifs boxes 86-95.5 all the orings/seals inside are identical as far as i have seen. i pinched the piston o ring on my early 86-88 box when i tapped it. i had a late 89-95.5 box that had a leaky input seal so i pulled the o ring off and used it after comming to the conclusion that all the seals matched up including the input (sector shaft) seal.

thx for the link, just ordered:)

Description Price Core Qty Total
OEM Catalog
GASKET KIT,CROSS SHA 32.64 0.00 1 32.64
Sub Total: $32.64
Shipping: UPS GROUND 8.99
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $41.63

·
Premium Member
5,257 Posts
Thought I would post this in here as well. This info is for the '86-'89 boxes:

From talking to my dealer friend, Toyota offers two kits for this box. The first kit is a partial kit and only covers the sector shaft seals. The part # for the partial kit is 04455-35020(~$50). The part number for the full kit which has all of the seals for the whole box including the input shaft seals and everything is 04445-35080(~$100).

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
thx for the link, just ordered:)

Description Price Core Qty Total
OEM Catalog
GASKET KIT,CROSS SHA 32.64 0.00 1 32.64
Sub Total: $32.64
Shipping: UPS GROUND 8.99
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $41.63

How did you adapt an IFS Box to a dirt bike??

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
so thats how you open the hood on the damn thing....:smokin:

it's one way:D

I got an email this am requesting a shipping address, I messed up & used autofill & it didn't put in city, so now my parts are on the way with no delay! they are on the ball:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

·
Registered
439 Posts
sweet, when you get it you should take pictures of the kit layed out on a table so we can see what all comes in it. and if anybody orders the other kit that arya was talking about do the same so we can compare. i would order one but im so friggin broke right now if i did id be lucky to eat ramen noodles for a week. :eek:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
sweet, when you get it you should take pictures of the kit layed out on a table so we can see what all comes in it. and if anybody orders the other kit that arya was talking about do the same so we can compare. i would order one but im so friggin broke right now if i did id be lucky to eat ramen noodles for a week. :eek:

I will
got this for my right hand drive 92 surf box, paid $349 for that:shaking: so what is another $41:p

Think I will tap my old lhd box 1st as practice:eek:

·
Registered
439 Posts
when i tapped mine it wasnt too bad but now that im running the high output tc style pump the seals in the box are showing their ass. i ordered the one seal from napa # nos7007 p/s worm shaft seal today for $4 an im going to try to get by with that for our 1st annual fattshack turkey day run.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i have a tc style pump which calls for synthetic ps fluid. ive always ran dexron mercron type atf in the p/s system untill upgrading. i figure that may be why it leaks, something about the switch the seals were pissed off at.

i was exaggerating alot, i bought a case of synpower p/s fluid when i got the pump because it was cheap, it doesnt leak that bad , just enough to attract a crapload of dust. and i got the seal from napa , heres a pic of the leaky input on the box and the seal i got from napa.

oh and i totally understand your point about that... post edited.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine leaks down off of the shaft for the pitman arm. Does that mean I screwed up the teflon seal on the inside while tapping for hydro?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts