Pirate 4x4 banner

Steering Box rebuild kit PN

26K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Fleetwood 
#1 ·
FYI-Need to rebuild your IFS steering box. You can get the seal kit from Toyota. Here is the PN for the box on my 90. Cost, around $50.00. :grinpimp:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
i remember there being more discussion in this thread...deleted for why?
is this the complete rebuild kit or is the guy from texas mentioned here the guy to get it from?

::edit:: from the website since the link is being picky...
The first thing you need is a seal kit. The only place in the known universe to get a complete kit is from:
John A. Vargus
sic@sbcglobal.net
P.O. Box 201195
Austin, Texas 78720

#4 ·
I do not know if John is still selling them. When I bought mine from him, it was complete OEM parts.

The PN I pictured was for a later style and it was complete.

I know nothing about the aftermarket kit, but I do know that when I bought an aftermarket from NAPA for my PS pump it was a POS and started leaking two days later. Purchased a OEM kit from the dealer and it was still going strong a couple of years later when I took it off and put the PSC TC pump on.

These kits only come with all the seals, nothing else like bearings or parts for the relife valve.

#24 · (Edited)
i ordered the same kit that oops litsted today from toyota of dallas and they wanted my vin number , i gave them the vin from the 87 runner out back and they told me the part wont fit this truck and that its for the late box, ive inspected the cross shaft gaskets/o rings and seals and put a mic on the cross shaft on both style boxes and there is absolutley no difference in that part of the box. you can actually take the cross shaft out of the late box and put it in the early box and vice versa. i told them to just ship the damn thing.... seabass you get yours yet?

#7 ·
my local dealer told me the same thing but you give them the part # on the bag and they will show it and want mucho cashola. trdparts4u.com has it for 40 bux. the kit is the same for all ifs boxes 86-95.5 all the orings/seals inside are identical as far as i have seen. i pinched the piston o ring on my early 86-88 box when i tapped it. i had a late 89-95.5 box that had a leaky input seal so i pulled the o ring off and used it after comming to the conclusion that all the seals matched up including the input (sector shaft) seal.

#8 ·
thx for the link, just ordered:)

Description Price Core Qty Total
OEM Catalog
GASKET KIT,CROSS SHA 32.64 0.00 1 32.64
Sub Total: $32.64
Shipping: UPS GROUND 8.99
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $41.63

#10 ·
Thought I would post this in here as well. This info is for the '86-'89 boxes:

From talking to my dealer friend, Toyota offers two kits for this box. The first kit is a partial kit and only covers the sector shaft seals. The part # for the partial kit is 04455-35020(~$50). The part number for the full kit which has all of the seals for the whole box including the input shaft seals and everything is 04445-35080(~$100).

#15 ·
it's one way:D

I got an email this am requesting a shipping address, I messed up & used autofill & it didn't put in city, so now my parts are on the way with no delay! they are on the ball:smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

#16 ·
sweet, when you get it you should take pictures of the kit layed out on a table so we can see what all comes in it. and if anybody orders the other kit that arya was talking about do the same so we can compare. i would order one but im so friggin broke right now if i did id be lucky to eat ramen noodles for a week. :eek:

#19 · (Edited)
i have a tc style pump which calls for synthetic ps fluid. ive always ran dexron mercron type atf in the p/s system untill upgrading. i figure that may be why it leaks, something about the switch the seals were pissed off at.

i was exaggerating alot, i bought a case of synpower p/s fluid when i got the pump because it was cheap, it doesnt leak that bad , just enough to attract a crapload of dust. and i got the seal from napa , heres a pic of the leaky input on the box and the seal i got from napa.

oh and i totally understand your point about that... post edited.

#26 · (Edited)
yea i just helped a guy do an 86 sas using tg's kit, i hate cutting the frame tube holes!!!!!! lots of mud/sand and trash in his frame. those springs are very soft and flexy. i have the front/ rear tg kit too and it flexes as much as my tires will let it. the springs are worn out though they only lasted about 18 months of wheeling nearly every weekend, pretty normal and expected. ive got a new set sitting on the garage floor just too damn lazy to swap em since ive been building a flatbed/partial exocage

i tried to source the flap seal for the cross shaft, aka pitman shaft seal on advance discount auto's site and the parts we cross referenced skf part number 14004 with national part # 710343 which i found at car quest ,the cross referenced part does not fit on the od in the box but the id fits on the cross shaft perfectly . i coudnt find 14004. i said fugg it and bought some ramen noodles so i could buy the seal kit from trdparts4u :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.