Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The nuts that were welded into the frame that the bolts that hold the steering box bracket to the frame have come loose. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and how they fixed it?

The only way I can think to fix it is to cut a hole in the frame, weld the nuts back down and then plate back over the hole I made.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
what is is on? I have fixed a CJ by making a new thicker plate drilled and tapped then welded the plate to the frame rail. Or you could drill through the frame, sleeve the frame with some DOM tube for the bolts and weld the sleeves in, again not sure what you are working on though.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
...you could drill through the frame, sleeve the frame with some DOM tube for the bolts and weld the sleeves in...not sure what you are working on though.
I'm betting a CJ, notorious for this problem. I recommend wilson's repair plan...drill out the old strpped portion with a uni-bit, replace it with some 3/4" 1/4 wall DOM, that has been drilled and tapped to 7/16" coarse.

When you are done with the repair, consider a MORE or similar heavy duty steering box mount and a crossbrace from the other side of the frame to the box itself.

·
Registered
850 Posts
you could drill all the way through the frame and just run a longer bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
you could drill all the way through the frame and just run a longer bolt.
Easy, but a bad idea...the frame will flex and compress under the load of the tightened bolts.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it's a CJ-7. Sorry I didn't say that to begin with.

Definitely going with a sturdier bracket. The original one is almost ripped in two. Good suggestions.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I had a similar problem

You can take a small hole saw and cut an access hole in the front frame cross member. Drill out the nuts, and then just use regular bolts. Doesn't compromise the frame. You just have a small hole (~1" or so) in the cross member thingy.
________
Cams Live

·
Registered
241 Posts
i used a 1-1/4 hole saw in the front of the crossmember as mentioned and the was able to get the nuts and washers in there. very easy just tighten the rear bolt first and work to the front and the opposite to take them off

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You can take a small hole saw and cut an access hole in the front frame cross member. Drill out the nuts, and then just use regular bolts. Doesn't compromise the frame. You just have a small hole (~1" or so) in the cross member thingy.
i used a 1-1/4 hole saw in the front of the crossmember as mentioned and the was able to get the nuts and washers in there. very easy just tighten the rear bolt first and work to the front and the opposite to take them off
similar to what i did only i used a uni-bit in the existing holes in the frame, made the mounting holes larger, fished the bolts in using wire, and used internal lock washers to tighten it down.

i did this the same time i got the HD steering box mount and i had to drill the mount to accept 1/2 inch bolts and the spring perch too worked good so far after 3 years of abuse

1 - 10 of 10 Posts