Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently building the suspension on my 90 4Runner with a dana 60 front axle. I have the front axle pushed pretty far forward to help with clearence and a better approach angle. When I built the steering I used highsteer arms and a billet sky 3/4 drop pitman arm and I turned it forward not thinking because I saw it done on other trucks mainly the 4Runner on the front of the newest crawl magazine. When I went to turn the tires back and forth I noticed the tires steered the opposite direction of the steering wheel. So now my problem is trying to figure out how to fix that or going full hydrualic cause the trac bar and the axle are in the way and I cant put the pitman arm back like stock. Does anybody know a fix for this?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I am currently building the suspension on my 90 4Runner with a dana 60 front axle. I have the front axle pushed pretty far forward to help with clearence and a better approach angle. When I built the steering I used highsteer arms and a billet sky 3/4 drop pitman arm and I turned it forward not thinking because I saw it done on other trucks mainly the 4Runner on the front of the newest crawl magazine. When I went to turn the tires back and forth I noticed the tires steered the opposite direction of the steering wheel. So now my problem is trying to figure out how to fix that or going full hydrualic cause the trac bar and the axle are in the way and I cant put the pitman arm back like stock. Does anybody know a fix for this?
OMG :laughing::laughing::laughing:

If you would searched--this topic is not old------ You need a different steering box son :laughing:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
FJ60 box... done.

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
That is fucking FUNNY! Good job!!! :laughing:

When I built my truck origionaly I used a scoutII steering box. It bolts around the driver side motormount perfectly. I have my axle about 6" forward and with a stock scout ptman arm I could have gone another 3-4" with no issues.

With that said I am full hydro now, much better setup IMO. :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tryed to search alittle bit, but I didnt know exactly what to search for and it would have taken me a year with this slow ass dialup to find anything, so I figured it would be easier to just ask.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
This makesme giggle a little :D

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I just got my FJ 80 box for $200.
Would of been great to see his face when he figured that out if he was taking it for a test drive.:laughing::flipoff2:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish it was running it would have been worth it to crash the thing, but I still have many long days to go. Thank you guys for the info, I was ready to yank the box and go full hydro which I might still do if I cant get a box reasonably.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
With full hydro you wont be drinving it on the street. Every rig that i have been in or drivin that had full hydro dosnt steer smooth. works great? yes. IMO I wouldnt run full hydro cause if you should happen to break the Hydro mount or blow a line you cant steer. Eventually i will do hydro assist wich is what i would recomend. Go get your self a FJ 60 or 80 box and that will solve your problems and tap that for hydro assist.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
With full hydro you wont be drinving it on the street. Every rig that i have been in or drivin that had full hydro dosnt steer smooth. works great? yes. IMO I wouldnt run full hydro cause if you should happen to break the Hydro mount or blow a line you cant steer. Eventually i will do hydro assist wich is what i would recomend. Go get your self a FJ 60 or 80 box and that will solve your problems and tap that for hydro assist.

Really--I can do 55 and steer very nicely with full hydro :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts