Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89RRC with OME HD springs F and R, and bilstein shocks F and R. I had put on 265/75/16 BFG MT tires on the car and was getting some rub on the front radius arms, but otherwise, the steering itself was fine, no wander or anything else. Recently, I added 2" spacers F and R with a shock relocation plate in the front to get some more space in the wheel wells, which I achieved, but all of a sudden the steering has become a big problem. The wheel has become hard to turn both ways, and I am getting a rubbing sound from the leather on the steering wheel itself against the plastic piece that is behind the wheel which has the signals, lights, hazard button, etc. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whats going on here...Do I need to add something or move something around with the bigger tires and spacers now in place that I didn't do??? As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben Ziskind:rolleyes:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a suspecting feeling it's the steering pump because I just replaced the box maybe 6 months ago, and the fluid level is always full, i make sure of that. When I turn the wheel, it feels like its hard to turn only some of the time, usually when it's cold out, and I drive it the next morning, which I think may be a sign that the pump is almost dead, or on its way out.

The other thing I was curious about was that I read somewhere that when you put bigger tires on the car, like the 265/75/16's I have on there now, you have to change something--bump stops, steering stops???
Anybody else heard this???

Thanks for the reply's,

Ben

p.s. Who else on this board is from Mass, and where in mass are you from, what rover do you drive???Post some pics please, I'm always interested in meetin up with people to go offroadin' with around here...I'm from marblehead, north shore....
:D :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.