Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 302 swap into my 95 runner and now my power steering fluid boils within a couple mins. I am still using the original toyota steering box but with the ford pump. I heard about a mod where you drill out the orifice in the steering box? but cant seem to find it anywhere on the net. Any ideas? power steering works great but boils really easy. Im not talking about hydro assist or anything just strictly ford steering pump and toyota steering box. Thanks guys:confused:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What fluid are you using?
Are you running any sort of cooler? Or just the sucky 2lines that run under the fan.
You sure it's boiling, and not sucking air in from a leak created by converting to a new pump? Could just be aerating causing it to bubble up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
full on boil and pissing everywhere. no cooler right now just the two lines. i have a electric pusher fan on the front side of the rad. running amsoil atf fluid. this was the first time outta the shop since the transplant and i only went around the building to our rti ramp to check suspension clearances and it boiled. had to let it cool then it boiled again getting it back into the shop. does the ford pump build more pressure than the toy box can handle and it doesnt have any where to go? steering works great but lasts 5 mins

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only ran for about 30 seconds and went lock to lock a few times and line temp was just about 100 degrees and res cap was 85 degrees. 212f and 185f for the mericans lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's not boiling! You have air in your lines. Power steering fluid has a very high boiling a lot higher than water. So 212f isn't going to boil your fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Popped the cap on the ps res and found there was no dipstic left and bottom of cap was all melted too. Fired the engine up and ps pump makes wicked squeal. I think it got a just little too hot. Guess its time for new pump. Maybe that will solve my problem... Hopefully?

·
Registered
95 Posts
No way your power steering res dipstick melted your hoses would have gone before the metal! To me nothing you have said adds up. I'm confused at how 100°c is melting metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts