Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to build a new tie-rod and drag link from some 1.5" .120 DOM that I have lying around. What I need help with is where to locate the inserts and TRE's that most people recommend.

Heep is a YJ SUA 4" lift on 33's, plan to eventually move up to 35's. The rig is a toy that has to remain street legal. I am also upgrading to the AGR Super Pump since I blew my pump on the trail this weekend.

I can really use exact recommendations on what I need, what thread size/pitch, LH/RH thread, etc.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
http://ballisticfabrication.3dcarts...romoly-34--16-tpi-Tube-Adapter-_p_7-1547.html

http://www.summitmachine.com/index.php?p=customParts&cp=ta

And Rubicon Express has them under builders part son their website.

Most commonly the size is 3/4" - 16.

Do you still have the Y-Joint type, or do you have true crossover steering.

Each link will need a left hand on one end and a right hand on the other. The TRE that is at each end will correspond directly to which RH LH insert is in that end.

As far as TRE's hopefully somebody else will chime in.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
1.5" .120 wall tube is not a common size for steering linkage. Find a place that sells the tube adapters and see if they have anything that will work with your tube. Then decide which tie rod ends you want to use and get the correct tube adapters.
Travis..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I currently have the stock steering setup in my YJ, looking to make the tie rod and link a little stouter to prevent trail damage. I don't have to use the 1.5" .120" wall, I just have some on-hand. I have been looking at Ballistic Fabs website, and they do sell inserts that will work with that size tubing.

The last question I have is if I step up to larger TRE's (say 7/8" - 18), I imaigine I will have to ream the knuckles to accept the larger TRE's? If so, what size ream do I need? Is there a better TRE that I should use?

Thanks for all of the help. I lost my power steering pump on the trail this weekend, and since I am fixing that I figured I would beef up the rest of the steering. I went with the AGR super pump, and plan to install a Durango box also.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
If you step up in TRE size, pull the knuckles and have the taper enlarged by a shop. It really isn't something you should do laying on your garage floor. The taper needs to be nice and true so the nut will tighten flat on the knuckle. Don't half ass your steering.
Travis..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts