Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this question for a friend of mine. He is thinking of swapping a saginaw steering gear onto his 79 f250. has anyone done this and if so which gear/pitman arm works best.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Are you (he) trying to get crossover steering into this truck? Use a steering box for a fullsize bronco. Then get the drop pitman arm for the bronco with the drop length according to how much lift the truck has. If he is lucky it will have the flat top pass knuckle on it. He can take both knuckles off and take them to a machine shop and have the pass one finished to miror the right side flat top. Then buy a set of high steer arms and then the drag link can go over the top of the leaf springs. If it doesnt have the pass flat top then you have some descisions to make. If it were mine I would get a pass flat top for it. Crane makes one with the five bolt spindles for ford. Or you can get one off of chevy dodge or fullsize jeep from a junk yard. They will all have 6 bolt spindles but the six bolt spindle will fit the eight lug drive hub and bearings for the 3/4 ton ford.

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
Stock F250 box with just a drop arm for the F250 rotated 90 degrees. Worked great until the current suspension had too much travel to clear it. It rubbed a few too many times, hence this picture. I'll keep looking for an unbroken picture with a better view.

78/79 Bronco box (with ram assist), not sure what the arm came off but it doesn't have any signifigant drop. Works good except for the steering shaft angles. You can feel the joints going through the angles in the steering wheel pretty bad. Works for a trail rig though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry for not explaining myself better. He is swapping from a stock hp44 to a hp kingpin 60 from a '87 f350. Yes, he wants to go with crossover steering and replace a worn-out steering box at the same time. Thanks for the info and the pics. I have a better idea what needs to be done.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
78/79 Bronco box (with ram assist), not sure what the arm came off but it doesn't have any signifigant drop. Works good except for the steering shaft angles. You can feel the joints going through the angles in the steering wheel pretty bad. Works for a trail rig though.

Wow that turned out wierd. I have seen this done before that didnt look so funky. Maybe the box was further away from the column or tilted so the arm oints down and input points up to the column?

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
Wow that turned out wierd. I have seen this done before that didnt look so funky. Maybe the box was further away from the column or tilted so the arm oints down and input points up to the column?
it's possible it could have been set up differently. The box went on in a position eyeballed to be good for high steer, but just like with the F250 box when the left front suspension fully compresses there's just not enough room in there for 2 links at the same time. If you didn't have the up-travel like I do, you could probably get away with runnig the box more angled. I wouldn't mind angling it more myself because sitting like that the box/ram are a nightmare to get bled.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Stock F250 box with just a drop arm for the F250 rotated 90 degrees. Worked great until the current suspension had too much travel to clear it. It rubbed a few too many times, hence this picture. I'll keep looking for an unbroken picture with a better view.

thats going backwards swapping a 3/4 ton steering gear for 1/2 ton junk.
what size tire?
must feel weak compared to the 3/4 ton gear even with hydro

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
thats going backwards swapping a 3/4 ton steering gear for 1/2 ton junk.
what size tire?
must feel weak compared to the 3/4 ton gear even with hydro
Box to box, the F150 box doesn't put out nearly the steering power the F250 box did, but the F250 box isn't even close to the way it steers with the ram assist.
I went to something that fit & worked at least mostly the way I wanted it to. I definatly have no regrets, except maybe not just going full hydro to start with.
I'm running 42" TSLs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts