Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
self-fullfilling prophecy im sure.....

Heres the setup: High steer passenger arm has 2 holes: tie rod is 5.5" from balljoint, draglink is 7.5" from balljoint.

You're supposed to have a pitman arm = to the distance between draglink and ball joint, so 7.5" long.

Looking at using a dropped pitman arm from a wagoneer, which is only 6.5" long. Immediatly this tells me I should connect the draglink to the tie rod, at approxiamtly 3.5" inwards from pass. side tie rode TRE.

At center, this puts the draglink 6.5" away from the ball joint (good ole a^2+b^2=c^2)

Now the problem I see, as the system is turned its going to change the distance between the ball joint and the draglink TRE.

What am I missing here? I'm sure its something obvious :mad: :confused:

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Your over thinking it, its not that exact of a science, yeah the distance will change a little but its not gonna make your vehicle a rolling death trap. You won't even notice it

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Are you trying to say that that a stock steering system remains constant when turning? :confused:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Sector shaft to draglink at pitman equalling kingpin axis to draglink at steering arm only means you are maintaining a 1:1 ration between the two. Moving the draglink at the steering arm outwards will create more steering force (and slow the ratio), moving it inward woll remove steering force (and quicken the ratio).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts