Pirate 4x4 banner

steering not centering after sas

3K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  OOP'S 
The next issue now becomes the work involved to get this correct caster angle. The correct way to do it is cut off your balls, rotate to your desired angle and weld them back on. The easier way is to cut off the spring perches, rotate the whole axle to desired angle and weld them back, but this tends to lead to pinion oiling issues and is not recommended.
Wrong on about all of this. He needs to first find out what his caster angle is. You are correct that the proper and permanent way to fix it is to cut and turn the knuckle balls, however in most cases and for most people steel shims bolted into the leaf pack work just fine. It would be near impossible to rotate the perches on a toy housing and the pinion would have to be pointed pretty damn far upwards to cause oiling issues, especially on a part time 4wd axle.

Sounds like we were wrong, 5* is about all you can get out of these without turning the knuckle balls and it should be plenty to keep it steering decent.

When you were showing your buddy was the truck moving or sitting still? It can't be the pump, all it does is make pressure, it does not have any control over the steering. Must be in the box.
I agree

I am going with impossible on a Toyota axle that has not been cut and turned, your pinion would be in the dirt first. Pinion at 0* would be 10* caster. Not sure how much is too much but it is way more than 10*
I've run as much as 12 on the street (D44, not toy) but agree, nearly impossible to have too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.