Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
truck was standing still, I had just shown him how easy it was to move the wheel with the tires in the air. then by fluke I tried it with the tires on the ground and it did the same thing.

frame was at 0* when i put the angle finder on it.

this truck has about 3/4 drop hanger over stock 85 in the front and 5" eye to eye shackle. about half a dozen toyotas that all my buddies have we have never done a cut and turn on the knuckle balls. all drove fine.

my axle should be centered if I can measure. its pretty far forward with toyota rears. but that shouldn't matter.

Its almost like the pump is putting out way to much pressure and takes no effort to turn the wheel.

I am going to try a different steering box tomorrow.

if that doesn;t do it I will try my spare pump,

I will keep you guys updated.

·
W6FTW
3,822 Posts
Extra pressure and flow from the pump is a good thing, think of the aftermarket pumps

You say the frame was at zero, but what about caster?

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
To much caster!!
I am going with impossible on a Toyota axle that has not been cut and turned, your pinion would be in the dirt first. Pinion at 0* would be 10* caster. Not sure how much is too much but it is way more than 10*

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,736 Posts
According to the FSM the caster is 2 degrees for the PU and 3 degrees for the runner. This is with stock springs. The RUF set-up moves the front further up the spring causing more caster. Some of it can be corrected with the hole placement on the shackles. With a 3/4" drop hanger I have the holes drilled 4 1/4" bolt hole to bolt hole, seams to work.:grinpimp:

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It was either the steering box or the power steering pump wasn't assembled properly behind the high pressure hose. the spring might have been in the wrong spot. I had both apart at the same time so I can't narrow it down from one or the other. :shaking:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I am going with impossible on a Toyota axle that has not been cut and turned, your pinion would be in the dirt first. Pinion at 0* would be 10* caster. Not sure how much is too much but it is way more than 10*
I've run as much as 12 on the street (D44, not toy) but agree, nearly impossible to have too much.

·
Premium Member
29,402 Posts
I've run as much as 12 on the street (D44, not toy) but agree, nearly impossible to have too much.
plus, more caster would be more 'feedback'/less desire of tires to wander

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
According to the FSM the caster is 2 degrees for the PU and 3 degrees for the runner. This is with stock springs. The RUF set-up moves the front further up the spring causing more caster. Some of it can be corrected with the hole placement on the shackles. With a 3/4" drop hanger I have the holes drilled 4 1/4" bolt hole to bolt hole, seams to work.:grinpimp:
I am surprised it is that low. As far as I know most solid axle stuff runs up around 5*-8*

·
Premium Member
29,402 Posts
I am surprised it is that low. As far as I know most solid axle stuff runs up around 5*-8*
until you get in to the older stuff. Part of why scouts for example have such shitty hwy road manners is their 0* caster. The lack of power steering in the design

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,736 Posts
To much caster will make your steering flop to one side or the other. Good example is Top Fuel Dragsters, they are built with a lot of caster to make them go straight, at least the ones I worked on in the 60's were set up that way.

·
Registered
337 Posts
To much caster will make your steering flop to one side or the other. Good example is Top Fuel Dragsters, they are built with a lot of caster to make them go straight, at least the ones I worked on in the 60's were set up that way.
In the '60s, my chopped Harley had a 14" extended front fork; let go of the bars and the handlebars would flop to the side (suicide ride!). Stock caster at 3 deg., plus or minus 1 deg. ( 4runner FSM). I f the steering goes to full lock in only one direction, it might be hose routing, imho. Please post what the fix to your problem turns out to be Thanks!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Too much caster can also make a street driven vehicle difficult to turn.

·
Premium Member
29,402 Posts
5* isnt some extreme number though.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,736 Posts
In the '60s, my chopped Harley had a 14" extended front fork; let go of the bars and the handlebars would flop to the side (suicide ride!).
Mine was 18" over plus a racked neck, it sucked!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts