Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy got hit in his 88 4Runner (He's OK) but he snapped his driver side drag-link section and bent the shit out of his steering knuckle arm (where the drag-link hooks up). I'm going to help him get the hook-up on new ones but I need to know what these pieces are actually called (previous names where just what I would call them) before I call into some yards and sound like an ass.

Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Umm... yer hosed, if he's got a bent draglink on an '87, and you're trying to find it in a yard. '87's don't have draglinks stock.

The pitman arm is attached to the steering gearbox.

The idler arm is on the other side of the truck, and looks kinda like a pitman arm on a supershrunken steering box.

The thing that runs side to side attached to the pitman arm and the idler arm is a center link.

The joints that attach to the center link about 4" inboard of the pitman arm and idler arm, are inner tie rod ends.

The connecting tubes attached to the inner tie rod ends, are tie rods.

The joints on the other end of those rods, at the wheel, are outer tie rod ends.

The arm that is on the knuckle, is a knuckle arm.

And I'd take off the bent parts, take them with you to the yard, and say "I need this part, not bent". I've seen all kinds of things sold as pitman arms, and if you don't know what it's called, you're gonna be hard pressed to tell the guy that he just brought you the wrong part.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Scott.

A guy in windsor said he's got the stuff in his shed. I'll have to look into it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts