Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got myself a little confused by steering terms. If some one could offer some clarity that would be great.

What is confusing to me i believe is called ackerman of steering. The stock 404 axle has a turning degree of 30 on the outside wheel and 40 on the inside wheel. When you turn the other way the values shift side. Is this a function of the tie rod, or steering knuckle? i understand the importance with a non steering rear. if you have a steering rear, do you still need these values, or would an even angle be better. Do you loose this when you convert to full hydro? Thanks in advance. Im sure the answers are going to make more questions

·
Registered
772 Posts
Plenty of discussion about this in many forums here, as it is related to any steering axle. Search a bit.

With Zero Ackerman angle, when you turn say to the left, both wheels angle the same amount.

If you look at the track the tires follow on the ground, you will notice that in a turn, both wheels follow a different track, and travel a different distance. With zero Ackerman angle, steering tires will scrub, and fight each other.

By designing some Ackerman angle into the steering pivot point geometry of your axles steering knuckles, the wheels can be made to turn (steer) at different angles, so each wheel follows their individual track better with less wheel scrub (easier turning).

When set up properly, the sharper you turn, the more pronounced the angle difference between wheels.

As I said before, search some more. There is lots of discussion on how to go about achieving this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The simple answer is that Ackerman is the relationship between the front kingpin and tie rod attachment points.

On a stock Mog404, the distance between the tie rod ends is WIDER than the distance between the kingpins... which creates Ackerman-type steering. If the tie rod is the same width as the kingpins it called "parallel steer"... (Edit: Actually that is a lie. The "stock" 404 uses a rear-mounted tierod, so the tierod mounting points are actually narrower than the kingpin spacing)

It's gets more complicated depending on the height of the tierod vs. upper and lower kingpins but a more advanced topic. Went through a lot of this learning (and mistakes) setting up my own axles in the "Mog-9 Build" in this forum. Quite a few photos there IIRC. (Post #292 range)

-G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts