Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the IFS older toy steering box for my sas. I am going to the junk yard in a little bit and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for junk yard steering shafts? I have been told that I can use the old 4x4 steering shafts with a little work, I have not had good luck finding many 4x4's there are some 4x2 out there. Do the 4x2 have parts that will work?

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Save yourself the trip. I have two you can have. I think they are different lengths, so you might get away w/out having to customize it.

You will need the rag jount parts though if you don't already.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I didn't need the ragjoint on mine:D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet!! and I do have that rag joint! Do you want me to paypal you some money for your troubles?

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
lsloth said:
Sweet!! and I do have that rag joint! Do you want me to paypal you some money for your troubles?
If ya want. It's only going to cost a few bucks to ship it so I wouldn't really bother.

PM or email me your address though.

·
Registered
800 Posts
take off your stock junk, cut the female end off, weld on some 5/8" or 3/4" steel rod (cant remember which one fits in perfect), thru the firewall, and connect it to the joint Bones is showing.
Fab the firewall plate at the same time so you get the angle right.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Here's what you need for a perfect setup.

IFS box, just the box and pitman.
79-83 steering shaft. It has a slip yoke, not a piece of fabric to hold your steering together. Make sure the slip is still tight.
Your factory double u-joint deal at the firewall.

The early slip shaft bolts right onto the IFS box. Then take the double joint apart. Knock out the spline shaft that used to go to the rack out. The internal spline left is the same as the spline on the early shaft, put em together. Make the double joint into one, and clamp it back on the shaft coming from the steering wheel. Then make a support at the firewall for it, done.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Brian,
do u know of any easy way to make the stock double joint into one? its a major pita to get those caps off w/ out a press (next on the list after another welder).

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
snowchucker said:
Brian,
do u know of any easy way to make the stock double joint into one? its a major pita to get those caps off w/ out a press (next on the list after another welder).
Just cut the center portion out, so it looks like a "nomrla" yoke. wnd just press em in and out. Id bet with a vice you could get those little buggers out.

Also, FYI, we've got steering box mount/frame strengthening plates for the Tacos now, as well as a leaf spring hanger kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts