Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am referring to the collapsible sector shaft/s, going from the firewall down to the steering box.

Stock?

Hybrid?

Other?

I have a stock '91 Sammy one, rag joint removed with the flanged end bolting to a Toy ('82 Supra) flanged end which is in turn welded to a shortened u-joint splined coupling, going to the steering box. (from the same '82 Supra)

This sounds more complicated than it really is, btw, and it has never given me any problems for several years now, BUT.

Now the tiny little stock u-joint on the Samurai upper shaft is getting all sloppy with too much play and I don't want to just replace it with another Sammy one.

Has anybody replaced the upper Sammy little U-joint section with something beefier?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Falming River S/S column 1" square D shaft and u-joints to Toy Box

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
My upper piece is still Sami. I have several spares and with good power steering, it doesn't see all that much stress. The lower is a collection of misc collection of cut and welded parts from Pick and Pull :D

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tusker said:
My upper piece is still Sami. I have several spares and with good power steering, it doesn't see all that much stress. The lower is a collection of misc collection of cut and welded parts from Pick and Pull :D

A vehicle inspector would fall down like one of those fainting goats if they saw how many different welded bits there are on my steering system:laughing:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
UZI 9mm said:
A vehicle inspector would fall down like one of those fainting goats if they saw how many different welded bits there are on my steering system:laughing:
I know what you mean. I am very glad we don't have mandatory vehicle inspections around here. The inspector would need psyco-therapy after looking at mine :laughing:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hybrid shaft. Took the stock shaft from an 83 toy truck, cut the upper splined section off and welded on the zuk splined end.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Stock for now, I'll just lengthen it when I move my front axle forward.
Travis..

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zuknstien said:
my whole steering column and shafts are out of an 84 4runner.
Y'know, I was thinking along those lines-just replacing the whole lot, column and all.

Are you using an IFS Toy box, or one from the 4runner?

Hmmm. I wonder how the shaft diameter/spline count of the 'runner's compares to the Celica's.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
UZI 9mm said:
Y'know, I was thinking along those lines-just replacing the whole lot, column and all.

Are you using an IFS Toy box, or one from the 4runner?

Hmmm. I wonder how the shaft diameter/spline count of the 'runner's compares to the Celica's.
11/16 31 spline I think it was. We used the Flaming river u-joint and it pressed right on to a celica box.

·
Registered
908 Posts
UZI 9mm said:
Cool write up Bill, - are you running Track/Kick steering box?
Not yet. The PS conversion is still sitting in a box in the garage...
I went back to a full size steering wheel the same weekend I went to an ARB up front. The combo made it sooo much easier to turn, I put off the conversion. One day it will happen, but not yet. Still running a stock box.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rockrat said:
11/16 31 spline I think it was. We used the Flaming river u-joint and it pressed right on to a celica box.

Awesome that's cool to know, thanks. I had poked around on their website but wasn't able to really follow how their various items could be mixed or matched. I'll give it another look:)

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
billjohn said:
Not yet. The PS conversion is still sitting in a box in the garage...
I went back to a full size steering wheel the same weekend I went to an ARB up front. The combo made it sooo much easier to turn, I put off the conversion. One day it will happen, but not yet. Still running a stock box.

Between shifting and wrenching on the wheel in stock mode, my bad arm would just give out. I pretty much had to go with power steering to be able to drive at all...

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
billjohn said:
I'm running a Rag Joint Eliminator from Petroworks.
Article

Looks amazingly like a mid 90's model Sidekick steering shaft welded to a Samurai shaft. Most people just pull the U-joint off the end of the Kick shaft and weld it onto a Zuk shaft. It works good for body lifted Zuk's and Kick P/S conversions....or if/when the rag joint breaks. Those acordian type shafts bend and twist up easily compared to the stock Zuk shafts. :eek:

Sean (interesting to say the least) DeVinney

·
Registered
908 Posts
AFTERMARKET4X4 said:
Those acordian type shafts bend and twist up easily compared to the stock Zuk shafts. :eek:

Sean (interesting to say the least) DeVinney

The rocks in 'Cruces haven't even caused the paint to crack... If you have to abuse the shaft like that, you need to slap your spotter... or pick a better line.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
billjohn said:
The rocks in 'Cruces haven't even caused the paint to crack... If you have to abuse the shaft like that, you need to slap your spotter... or pick a better line.:flipoff2:

Jeez, look at his Avatar, Bill:flipoff2:

He's clearly not all there:laughing:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts