all of the sudden the truck will dive off to one side. Make a slight
correction of the steering wheel and no response. Turn the wheel more and
the truck will quickly go the other way then you over correct the other way
and...Well you get the picture. If you add in the body roll, it’s down right
scary....
What's been done to the truck: OME medium duty springs and shocks. New
tires 235/85 R19 Cooper SST's. Unfortunately I installed all of this stuff
as soon as I bought the truck so I don't know if they are contributing to
the problem. I have also replaced the rubber joint on the steering shaft.

The truck drives straight. (hands off steering wheel) There are no clunks; I have not noticed the breaks pulling to ether side. Wheel bearings feel tight, (I can’t shake the
wheel when it’s jacked up) my "idiot boy" visual inspection doesn't show anything wrong...Grin

I plan on measuring the toe in and checking all the bushings this weekend.
What other checks can I do? I don't have enough cash to buy new radius arms,
so what about the OME correction bushing? Are the tires too big? I know, I know that was a joke.

Thanks for any help,

Matt W

·
Registered
740 Posts
hmm... Mine do this too..

Sounds like too much toe-out to me. Mine do this whenever I thwack the tie-rod. Check the allignment. After that, I'd suspect the rubber suspension bushings mounting the suspension arms.

-John

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you're experiencing this while accelling or decelling then check the rear trailing arm bushing at the chasis end. Otherwise check what others are saying: toe, bushings, etc..

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Don't forget the steering shaft u-joints and rubber coupler. Check everything people are saying in this order for looseness.

Wheel (swivel pre-load and bearings)
Rod ends and linkage
Steering shaft / box
Alignment settings.

j

·
Registered
498 Posts
It sounds a bit like too much toe out as others have suggested, but I would like to add that checking all the steering linkage is very easy, done in less than 5 min if you have an assistant.
I have had problems with the drop arm nut working loose and the linkage gaining a lot of free play. Gave somewhat the symptom you describe.

Have the assistant sit at the wheel and turn it 45-90 degrees either side continously ( a bit tiring, thats why teh assistant do that ;-) )

Then check from the steering shaft ujoints steering box drop arm and all ball joints. It is often easiest to detect small free plays by puitting your hand so that it covers both sides of the joint, even a small free play can be detected that way.

Larger tires are better for stability, in my view. It is spring lift that tends to destabilize.
Now running 285/75r16 and had 285/85R16 before. More stability now!
The width could have something to do with it...

Tobias

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wander update

Steering wander update,

First thanks for the input, it gave me a lot of ideas on what to look for…..

Basically I’m a “limp wristed panty-waist”

Saturday I checked under the truck with all four wheels supported by Jack-stands. I couldn’t find any bad bushings, the tie rod ends seemed tight, wheel bearings etc.

This morning I dropped it of at a local front end/brake shop. The shop has a good reputation,
Any way the they put it on the lift check the alignment, bushing etc. then the mechanic drove it. He came back called me and said “coil suspension, tall narrow tires, solid axles, no sway bars. This is what you get….”

Here’s the funny part, it turns out I know the mechanic from High school when I picked up the truck he came out to the parking lot and started laughing, he yells “Fearless that your truck?” Ugh, I thought, how come I didn’t move away from my home town?…I got the name Fearless for how far and high I would jump various motorcycles, and the fact the I totaled 5 cars before I was 21, (they were not all my fault…Grin.)
I guess twenty years and two kids have made me soft…

Matt W

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome to Rover ownership:flipoff2:

I remember my first test drive of a 70's RR - I could barely keep it on the road! Thankfully it was a back country road or I would have taken out oncoming traffic - damn thing had a mind of its own...

I am sure my current rangie handles no better - but it feels safe as houses to me - you will learn to adapt:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts