Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i searched, but didnot find luck in any of the 200+ threads i found.

since my rig is no longer registered for the street, i wanted to get rid of the stock steering wheel and airbag in my 00 TJ. Ive got the bag out, and tomorrow am gonna rent a puller and yank that fawker off...if i can get some lear answers here:laughing:

going thru all of the install kits available, ive found nothing for a tj. am i jsut gonna have to fab something up out of some flat stock? or has anyone found an install kit that will work with a factory column?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just did this last week. I bought a quickcar steering wheel release with 3/4" opening. First, I welded a 2" long 3/4" rod over the stock hub, then I slid the quick release hex hub over and welded both on top and bottom.

·
Dabbler
2,161 Posts
Use the YJ adapter (grant style).

First off, disconnect the battery ( I know, you've heard it before ) then disconnect the yellow connector that hooks to the passenger air-bag. Remove the plastic shroud around the steering column. Disconnect the yellow connector and connector that goes to the clock spring. Try not to damage the clock spring, and connector, they are very expensive and can be resold, as can the stering wheel with the air-bag.

That said, remove the factory steering wheel, make sure the front tires are straight. Remove the clock-spring and horn wire. The steering wheel lock plate MUST also be removed.

Install the YJ adapter and nut. You will no longer be able to lock the steering wheel, and the turn signal release will no longer operate.

You will have to have a 2" long adapter fabricated, with a hole in the center ( I believe its about 5/8" ) and three holes to match the ones on the adapter. This is to alow the new steering wheel, if is not splayed, to clear the turn signal and washer arms.

·
Registered
19,482 Posts
Got my adapter and hub from Summit. Do a search in here with my name and you should find the part number.
can you elaborate on that part and install?? I searched your post and only found part numbers for the wheel and hub. No adapter to be found??

These are the summit part numbers for the quick release hub and the Grant wheel that I used.

SUM-G7851

GRT-702
Also, That steering wheel shows 5 bolts and the quick disconnect says 3??

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can you elaborate on that part and install?? I searched your post and only found part numbers for the wheel and hub. No adapter to be found??

Also, That steering wheel shows 5 bolts and the quick disconnect says 3??

where were ya able to find that..been searchin and came up with nothin

·
Registered
19,482 Posts

·
Registered
19,482 Posts
I think I'm about to buy all of this stuff and find out on my own. I have researched enough to know that the 3196 installation kit works on TJs.

Grant 3196

This is the quick release kit bushy was talking about

And I want this steering wheel.

·
Registered
19,482 Posts
I got the quick release and install kit. I took some better pictures of how the quick release works.

This is the hub part that stays on the steering shaft.

and the splines insides.

You can see the bearing release inside.

and how it holds onto the steering wheel.

I also bought the install kit pictured above. Not sure how the kit will install with the quick release hub but will find out tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
19,482 Posts
Alright... some updated tech stuff.

I installed the quick release on my non tilt steering column last Saturday. I received my steering wheel on Monday. I found out that the picture from summit is not accurate. My steering wheel needed the 5 hole pattern and not the 3 hole. I had to tear the hub off. Only... that wasn't so easy. I used 2 different 3 jaw pullers with no luck.

I called Davey at Daveys jeeps and bought a tilt steering column for a great price. I figured this was the best time to upgrade.

I called grant to figure out which hub I needed. I wasn't happy when I found it for 110 at summit! :eek: But I wanted to keep the steering wheel I had so I bit the bullet and ordered it up.

Both hubs worked like they were supposed to. The only down side is how close the hub mounts to the column. This is the splined part installed.

With the wheel installed it is as stated above. The wheel is very close to the turn signal and wiper controls. I'm going to modify my controls since there is no cruise to worry about.

This is my wheel installed. I really like the smaller wheel and with the tilt all the way down it is still easy for me to see the dash.

The Grant quick release hub adapter I used is.... GRT-3021 It fits the splines on the steering column exactly like it is supposed to.

The summit quick release is part number SUM-G7851. It seems to me this is exactly the same part as the grant listed above. The only difference is the hub adapter that mounts the 3 bolt pattern to the 5 bolt pattern.

Grant also has this install kit if you don't want to quick release your steering wheel. GRT-3196. It will also work on the TJ column.

Unless you cut the stock steering column and weld on a spacer then weld the steering column back to the spacer there is no way to properly engage the splines for the quick release hub. I think I might try this with my old column to see how it works out.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright... some updated tech stuff.

I installed the quick release on my non tilt steering column last Saturday. I received my steering wheel on Monday. I found out that the picture from summit is not accurate. My steering wheel needed the 5 hole pattern and not the 3 hole. I had to tear the hub off. Only... that wasn't so easy. I used 2 different 3 jaw pullers with no luck.

I called Davey at Daveys jeeps and bought a tilt steering column for a great price. I figured this was the best time to upgrade.

I called grant to figure out which hub I needed. I wasn't happy when I found it for 110 at summit! :eek: But I wanted to keep the steering wheel I had so I bit the bullet and ordered it up.

Both hubs worked like they were supposed to. The only down side is how close the hub mounts to the column. This is the splined part installed.

With the wheel installed it is as stated above. The wheel is very close to the turn signal and wiper controls. I'm going to modify my controls since there is no cruise to worry about.

This is my wheel installed. I really like the smaller wheel and with the tilt all the way down it is still easy for me to see the dash.

The Grant quick release hub adapter I used is.... GRT-3021 It fits the splines on the steering column exactly like it is supposed to.

The summit quick release is part number SUM-G7851. It seems to me this is exactly the same part as the grant listed above. The only difference is the hub adapter that mounts the 3 bolt pattern to the 5 bolt pattern.

Grant also has this install kit if you don't want to quick release your steering wheel. GRT-3196. It will also work on the TJ column.

Unless you cut the stock steering column and weld on a spacer then weld the steering column back to the spacer there is no way to properly engage the splines for the quick release hub. I think I might try this with my old column to see how it works out.

nice write up bro...i got mine installed finally and it looks good. i really like the smaller dia. of the smaller wheel as i have lar...i have hamhocks for thighs:flipoff2: i used the 3196 kit along with this wheel:

and it looks tits...ill snap some pics in the next couple days. also took the opportunity to rip out the entire AB system, and dint notice any effect due to it....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kinda off topic but if anyone has a clockspring for sale I am listening. I think mine is shot and I need it working to have a horn/airbag. Also how hard is it to pull the steering wheel? Any pictures of that? Never attempted something like that before, and kinda hate the thought of taking it to a dealer to fix.

Thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
anyone have any pics of what it looks like with the spacer installed to move the wheel out further. Still not picturing this in my mind but I have torn into this yet to see all the parts.

·
Registered
235 Posts
so no airbag + no stock steering wheel = no clockspring?
no clockspring = $200 i won't have to give to my stealership!

was there any codes (check engine light) on after you were done?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts