Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with a 77 CJ 7. It has 2.5" lift and 32 12.5 15 tires. It wanders all over the road. I took it to a 4x4 shop in So Ca and they said all looks good except the ball joints seemed tight. Replaced ball joints, drag link, tie rod ends and rebuilt steering box. All with no luck. The toe is set about 1/8" in as I don"t know the correct setting. In any 4x4 I"ve owned (mainly jeeps over the years), if you turn in a circle and let go of the steering wheel, it will return to center. My jeep just keeps going in a circle. Not fun. I"ve checked for cracks in the frame where the box mounts and can"t see any. Any ideas as it is no fun to drive in the back country roads of Tn. Thanks for all your ideas.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If the caster is wrong (not enough) it will wander and loose some or all of it's ability to self center. No it's not fun to constantly be chasing the thing down the road with the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I had one do that and I toed in and it got worse. Then toed out one full revolution at a time until I got it right. It ended up at about a 1/4" in or so.

·
Registered
322 Posts
shim the axle so that the pinion goes down(just a little). this will roll the top ball joints back and should fix your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help. I will look into the caster angle. Maybe it's shimmed wrong. Shackles are stock from the factory and that's next on the replacement list.

·
Registered
635 Posts
check the wheel / outer u-joints .
i have seen dry or worn / frozen joints that caused a severe pull and wandering .

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
You need these.

QUOTE=Keith
edit: wow, those could also be usefull for correcting toe :black laughing: for the tuesday crowd
/QUOTE

·
Registered
720 Posts
longer shackles will only make caster less. If you get longer shackles run some shims. Also try a bit more toe in maybe 1/4" but no more than that.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
if there are currently shims on the front make sure the thick part is towards the front

Also check the tierod ends... a freinds stock CJ-5 acted the same way with warn out tie rod ends... also killed a pair of tires on an 500 mile road trip

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to thank everyone for there suggestions. As a last resort I cranked the toe out about a 1/4" and it drives much better although it needs fine tuning. At least I know I can live with it. I will also look into those caster correctors. Yes, the axle is shimmed with the wide side to the front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts