Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just picked up a Sten rifle from a local guy. I have a couple questions though.

It has the Indianapolis semi auto group in it. One thing Im noticing though is the bolt spring gets really slack when the hammer is on the sear. Are there supposed to be two different rate springs in this?

Also, does anyone sell sight kits for this? He put a rail on the top, which is cool but I would like to have irons...mainly.

Another thing... he used a silver solder to put it together soooo thats going to get welded up haha.

Anything I should be looking for with this? Im totally green to the sten world but I have always wanted one :)

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also... the barrel is...spinny. How would I fix that?

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
The barrel spinning should be resolved with a set screw in the trunnion. Without seeing yours, I don't know how it was built, but that's what many do and recommend.

Or you can stake the trunnion at the barrel, which I've seen done before too.

I made a front sight blade and welded it onto the tube for a front sight. Rear sight should be part of the endcap of the receiver. If yours isn't, just look at a pic and make one, as there's not a whole lot to it--just a basic peep. Or get creative and make your own rear sight out of whatever you've got laying around.

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any resolve on the spring being very slack for the bolt when te hammer is back?

I also think the springs are stupid tight. Is it supposed to be crazy hard to pull the bolt back on these things?

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
No idea on the hammer spring, I've never fired a semi-auto version.

The recoil spring should be fairly stiff, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't put in a lighter one. Obviously, you'd want a spring stiff enough to absorb the recoil without beating up the recevier, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to look into.

Or stop being a pussy and just deal with a stiff spring :flipoff2:

PS super-hot loads work great in those guns. I'm talking like P+++++++ :D

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No idea on the hammer spring, I've never fired a semi-auto version.

The recoil spring should be fairly stiff, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't put in a lighter one. Obviously, you'd want a spring stiff enough to absorb the recoil without beating up the recevier, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to look into.

Or stop being a pussy and just deal with a stiff spring :flipoff2:

PS super-hot loads work great in those guns. I'm talking like P+++++++ :D
use your twiggy arms!
Both good points (not really :flipoff2:), but since I have never had one before i wasnt sure if it was normal. I mean, its not like a G3.... its like... twice that pull power...with half the handle haha.

I went ahead and ordered a new set of springs just in case the P.O. fucked with the length or something. It does look like the spring rates are different just judging by the thickness of the wire and the coil/in.

I am going to strip the finish down and get it ready for some welding action.

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
I am going to strip the finish down and get it ready for some welding action.

Just don't do it Numidian-style, DJ! Remember, friends, don't let friends use Stevie Wonder in the dark of night, to weld up their gun builds! :flipoff2:

Looking forward to seeing it done... unlike my mosin build. :laughing: :( I just need to get a drill press and cross slide and do it.

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My welds are pretty decent, actually....at least for someone who learned back in high school and didnt do it again for 7 years or so :laughing:

This was the first stitch I did after 7 years when building the deathtrap gokart. Im sure I can handle a few tacks

Attachments

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw this and had a couple good laughs. I like his humor haha.

the beginning is MEH... but it gets better

·
Premium Member
17,879 Posts

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Watching it again today...I fail. Alcohol WAS a factor while doing research on the weapon and I stumbled on that video. There is no funny there :laughing: :flipoff2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts