Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Semi float 10.25 in an 85 250. Wtf is the deal with this breather? Haven't seen anything like this before. It was ziptied to the axle tube :shaking: and the hole in the housing was clogged with junk. Is this factory or something that was added? Is it supposed to be welded to the axle tube? There doesn't seem to be any threads in the hole so I can't figure out how it's supposed to be attached. Any help is appreciated.

·
blatant asshole
11,853 Posts
it is broken. there is threads in the tube. the vent nipple is like 1.5-2" long over all.

its how 90% of the axle vents are done.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't pull the bolt out cause I was already in the dark. I'll mess with it tomorrow when I have some light. Where can I get a replacement bolt to go through that junction block?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I bought a new one from there as well. The stock ones tend to be rusty in the rust belt and as you discovered, its bad when they fail.

·
Registered
394 Posts
this is the PN, ypou can get it on ebay for 12 each or 2 for 20$
F5UZ-4022-A

i just ordered a single.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
You're going to have to drill/tap the hole again. It broke off leaving the threaded portion in the axle tube.

LH drill bit might di the trick for you. Either way, you're going to get some shit in the tube.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
You're going to have to drill/tap the hole again. It broke off leaving the threaded portion in the axle tube.

LH drill bit might di the trick for you. Either way, you're going to get some shit in the tube.
heat and a screw extractor first. Always the chance that some hamfist broke it off tightening the brake lines, in which case it don't be too tight in there.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
heat and a screw extractor first. Always the chance that some hamfist broke it off tightening the brake lines, in which case it don't be too tight in there.

Good idea. I've always been lucky with mine. Of course, they're usually soaked in PB Blaster (or grease/oil) beforehand :laughing:

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Dammit. I was hoping I lucked out and wouldn't have to drill it. Oh well.

·
blatant asshole
11,853 Posts
raise up that wheel

pull the axle shaft

shove a rag down the tube past the hole,

drill away

stuff a magnet and fetch garbage.

drag out rag after shit is clear.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Chances are the bottom half has been kept lubed. Might turn out easier than you think. I'd definitely try real hard to get it out before I drilled.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
or just toss a bolt extractor in it before you make chips that are not going to come out the spindle end, you'll have to take the carrier out.
A bolt and a tack weld.
one jaw of a needle nose pliers
your dick

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's obvious something has been weeping around the area wether it's gear oil or brake fluid. I'll fill it with PB blaster and then try my luck with an easy out.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 23 Posts