Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone wired up an oem 2011+ unit yet? And what does the upgraded pinion actually measure?

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,188 Posts
Man, I was literally just researching this. I'm interested too. Seems nobody has documented it if so.

My question is can it be swapped into an older 10.25 housing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Closest one with the ratio I want is a 500 mile trip, and its A LOT of $$$$. Still cheaper than an arb. Does anyone have measurements on the new 37 spline pinion, or a good Place to search? They must be working pretty well, or we would hear of countless failures. Its hard to find pictures of the factory locker, pinion, housing..... I need a friend at the Ford dealer.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
See, I keep getting mixed info. I'm pretty sure it's only the pinion that is 37 spline, not the axle shafts. But that's not confirmed.
First I've heard that was in this thread, not saying it's not true though.

Realistically, how are you going to come across just a locker? Just swap the whole axle in and redrill to 8x6.5. Bonus is you will be the same width front and rear, rather than 70/64"

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
That's a lot of work and expense for a cheap selectable.
Yep. Looking back, I'd have gone that route in the first place and just had some TWF wheels with the Superduty pattern, but now that I'm all in.... nope. Not for a rear locker.

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
I just had one for sale a few weeks ago, no one bought it so I stuck different gears on it and shoved it in an older housing .

I wanted the bigger 37 spline pinion in my 2k 7.3 PSD but I didnt want the locker, I just wanted the regular old Ford factory locking diff .

The axle shafts are still 35 spline and it doesnt matter if you have the older style housing or the newer wider 05+ housing the axle shafts are the same length and still 35 spline .

The 37 spline pinion however WILL NOT go into any housing other than one that is machined out for the bigger pinion bearings due to a bigger pinion, its the same size as a Dana 80 .

So now my 1970 FJ55 has a nice wide 05+ sterling rear with the electric locker, I did it this way so the width would match the front 99-04 60 it will be getting .

No I have not wired the locker yet, it has only two wires so i'm gonna say its pretty basic, like off/on .

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,188 Posts
I just had one for sale a few weeks ago, no one bought it so I stuck different gears on it and shoved it in an older housing .

I wanted the bigger 37 spline pinion in my 2k 7.3 PSD but I didnt want the locker, I just wanted the regular old Ford factory locking diff .

The axle shafts are still 35 spline and it doesnt matter if you have the older style housing or the newer wider 05+ housing the axle shafts are the same length and still 35 spline .

The 37 spline pinion however WILL NOT go into any housing other than one that is machined out for the bigger pinion bearings due to a bigger pinion, its the same size as a Dana 80 .

So now my 1970 FJ55 has a nice wide 05+ sterling rear with the electric locker, I did it this way so the width would match the front 99-04 60 it will be getting .

No I have not wired the locker yet, it has only two wires so i'm gonna say its pretty basic, like off/on .
Awesome info. Thanks. :beer:

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's not a bonus in my eyes. That increases turning radius.
Sorry for being a newb on this - but how does having the same width front and rear axles increase the turning radius?

The truck sort of pivots on the inside back wheel when turning sharply. Does moving that pivot 3" outward (a 6" wider rearend) make that much difference - or is something else going on?

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,686 Posts
Sorry for being a newb on this - but how does having the same width front and rear axles increase the turning radius?

The truck sort of pivots on the inside back wheel when turning sharply. Does moving that pivot 3" outward (a 6" wider rearend) make that much difference - or is something else going on?
From what I understand, it does have to do with the pivot point of the rear axle. Narrower rear end, tighter circle, wider rear end larger circle.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Uh what? A full size truck with a 140"+ wheelbase does not fucking pivot on the rear tire :laughing: The rear end width has nothing to do with turning radius, it has to do with tracking. The narrower rear follows the tracks of the front tires better on curves. Kinda like a short trailer vs long trailer.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,188 Posts
It is part of the Ackerman angle theory. It has more to do with the front being wider than the rear, than having a narrower rear. At slow speeds, the front tires try to scrub as power is applied in the rear. Especially with a locking rear diff. As the front gets wider in relation to the rear axle, it has a larger advantage over the rear axles anchored position. It is much easier to maunver the front with steering input if it has a larger track width than the fixed axle. This principle becomes more true the slower your speed and the more resistance the rear axles have to turning independently.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
It is part of the Ackerman angle theory. It has more to do with the front being wider than the rear, than having a narrower rear. At slow speeds, the front tires try to scrub as power is applied in the rear. Especially with a locking rear diff. As the front gets wider in relation to the rear axle, it has a larger advantage over the rear axles anchored position. It is much easier to maunver the front with steering input if it has a larger track width than the fixed axle. This principle becomes more true the slower your speed and the more resistance the rear axles have to turning independently.
Well yes, with a locker or limited slip I could see that, and I'm sure even with an open diff there is some effect. That being said, I don't think a few inches of width in the rear is going to be noticeable on a full size truck.

I have a 99-04 sterling that is going into my 97 (for disc brakes and 3.73s vs 4.10s) it's like 1.5" wider per side, so I'll let you guys know if my cclb all of sudden makes even wider turns :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 252 Posts