Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 253 Posts

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
100 is barely warm, I've seen over 200 before on tow rigs.
Humans are almost 100°. I would absolutely not be worried. :laughing:

Can we get a side view of that assembly? I've never seen one.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think you need more multi-meters.

·
Green bastard
6,658 Posts
How good was that battery? 3 hours to suck down a "good" one from 12.53to 3.53 isn't a huge draw, but still a decent draw. Are you sure the meter is accurate, maybe try a different one if you could find one

or 10 fuckin moar of them.....

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
How good was that battery? 3 hours to suck down a "good" one from 12.53to 3.53 isn't a huge draw, but still a decent draw. Are you sure the meter is accurate, maybe try a different one if you could find one

or 10 fuckin moar of them.....

Appears to be 3.53A Amps... if I’m seeing how he’s got the meter set.

Should have one on each lead for amps, voltage at battery, voltage at locker, voltage drop on each lead, voltage check to the carrier on each lead,

·
Green bastard
6,658 Posts
Appears to be 3.53A Amps... if I’m seeing how he’s got the meter set.

Should have one on each lead for amps, voltage at battery, voltage at locker, voltage drop on each lead, voltage check to the carrier on each lead,
Shit fuck, missed the lead change..........

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
I went to Harbor Freight today to pick up some cheap hand tools for work. The 3 usual free coupons next to the 20% off were the 6 piece shittastic screwdriver set, the useless blue plastic light, and the little red multimeter.

I didn't walk past it on my way out so I just checked out with only the 20% coupon. :flipoff2: I don't have 10 of them but I have enough of the damn things.

·
Premium Member
3,887 Posts
So uh... how much did that set you back? I’ve had no luck finding one

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
100 is barely warm, I've seen over 200 before on tow rigs.
You have seen what at over 200 before, a working differential ?

What I am saying that this just sitting here activated rose from ambient (65 degrees in my shop that day, floor was 55 degrees) to 100 degrees in an hour . No one is going to "intentionally" leave a locker engaged for that long, but if they did it is for sure going to raise your diff oil temp a bit .

AND, I am simply providing the info what you do with it is entirely up to you

Humans are almost 100°. I would absolutely not be worried. :laughing:

Can we get a side view of that assembly? I've never seen one.
Not worried .
Should be other pics in here or the sister thread if you scroll back .....

So how long did you leave it on..
I left it on for about an hour and 15 min then I went to a little bar to watch the exiting premier of TRUCK NIGHT IN AMERICA ! Because I dont have cable n stuff, did not want to leave it on while I was gone, I like some of you sometimes but not enough to risk burning down my shop for research .

So uh... how much did that set you back? I’ve had no luck finding one
I bought an entire 2013 rear just to get it and conduct not so secret low level testing in my laboratory, I dont need it .........

·
Premium Member
17,857 Posts
Seems like Myth busted on needing a super fancy PWM module and timer and all that $400 junk then.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok quick summary to make sure im reading this right.

2011+ 10.5 axle with e locker, which gear ratios work? all aftermarket? one site is telling me the 2011+ is different and I can only use 4.88 tops, no 5.38, is this true?

and for switching it on, 4v constant with a 12v momentary to activate?

looking to get new axles in the coming weeks and this e locker option save me about 1k on an arb if i can make it work, plus i prefer electronic over pneumatic lockers

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts

2011+ 10.5 axle with e locker, which gear ratios work? all aftermarket? one site is telling me the 2011+ is different and I can only use 4.88 tops, no 5.38, is this true?

looking to get new axles in the coming weeks and this e locker option save me about 1k on an arb if i can make it work, plus i prefer electronic over pneumatic lockers
if you are using the 2011 + diff then yes you are limited on gear ratio as they have a larger pinion. but can put the locker in an older housing and run 5.38s.

·
E. Spengler
3,831 Posts

Pretty sure Valley Rock showed above that 4v isn't necessary..

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

Pretty sure Valley Rock showed above that 4v isn't necessary..
This.

I think the conclusion so far is... constant 12 volts for an extended period of time does not equal internal locker components self destructing as many had speculated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you are using the 2011 + diff then yes you are limited on gear ratio as they have a larger pinion. but can put the locker in an older housing and run 5.38s.
got it, but did some more thinking and it looks like 4.88 will work for my build at first, and by the time im ready to regear im hoping there will be 5.38 options.

This.

I think the conclusion so far is... constant 12 volts for an extended period of time does not equal internal locker components self destructing as many had speculated.
perfect, that makes life easy. thanks for the info

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you not run an older gear set with the corresponding bearings/races in the newer housing?

I thought I read the pinion spline count was different, and the bearing size, but if you used the correct bearing set you would be fine.

I've got both an older, complete 10.5 and a 2011+ so I guess I will find out soon enough.

181 - 200 of 253 Posts