Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of getting flamed, I'm searching Car-Part for a '99 Ford 10.5 rear axle and they are showing ID codes such as ID S140B. This axle will be rebuilt with a Grizzly Locker and new gears and put underneath a '99 Ranger to turn 4Ds.

Do I need to be looking for anything particular or just a good deal?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
There's cab & chassis, pickup, SRW, and DRW configurations of the 10.5". I've read about differing tube thicknesses also.

The main thing will be the overall width you want. A SRW pickup version is probably the most sensible to deal with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
not positive, but im pretty sure SD dually's have d-80 rears.
atleast my 02 SD DRW did.

I just scrapped one I didn't want to ring and pinion

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers! I'm definitely sticking with the SRW! D80 would be fine, just don't want DRW, Full width under a Ranger will be plenty wide enough!

·
Registered
34 Posts
98+ = 8 on 170mm
pre 98 = 8 on 6.5

I used a set of axles from a 89 F350 D60 and 10.25 on my build,
picked up the entire truck for a grand

·
Registered
662 Posts
some 99's used bastard brake calipers for a half year i believe. I want to say the calipers were on the front on one side and the back on the other.
00 and up is all good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
99-04 are roughly 3 inches more narrow than the 05+. The earlier axles also have smaller diameter brakes, the brakes increase in size with every generation 99-04, 05-07, 08-10, and 11+. The sterling 10.5 is primarily a SRW axle. I would avoid 99 parts as they are a mixed bag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts