Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a sterling 10.25 rear with my HP60 from an 89f350

Now I can seem to find almost no tech on this axle

Is it woth it to gear and lock it or is there something horrible about it that I am missing other then the low pinion and long snout on the housing

I know I can get 5.13's for it but if there is an issue I would rather just go get a 14 or 60 and save the time

TIA

·
Registered
584 Posts
Get a 14 bolt, they are tough, and the gears are very easy to set up unlike dana axles. 14 bolt housings are alittle bigger, but if you shave the bottom you wont have a problem. Disc brake brakets are available cheap, and easy to install.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning on just welding up the spiders,

It has drum breaks on it now not sure if I will need to go discs with the dual piston front.

as far as I can tell it is 65 wms to wms, how wide are the avg 60/14's?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
the sterling is a tough axle. 35 spline shafts 10.25 inch ring gear and i think the pinion is bigger than a 70. i thought they went down to 7.17?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know how deep they go but 5.13 is what I am planning on running in it

or possbily 5.38

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ive got 5.38s in my 10.25 sterling under my 94 F350 with 41" XZLs. Ive got a detroit in it, and its taken a pounding and never given me any problems. I say run it for something different, I dont think durability will be an issue aside from checking those weak factory welds....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've got one. It's sitting on stands in the garage. I dumped over $1k into it in parts alone, only to have it eat two sets of pinion bearings and eventually pull the threads on the pinion nut.

I know guys run them with solid spacers and have no problems. A lot of the money I spent on it (admittedly) was many years ago before I knew better... so I kept dropping bearings into it without fully understanding the problems with the crush sleeves.

That said, I would rather run a D70 or 14 before I'd touch a 10.25. The only reason my 10.25 is still sitting in the garage is because I have more money tied up in it (broken) than I have in the detroited, disc'd, completely rebuilt 14-bolt that's under my truck now.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
I watched a guy in truck pulls break a 10.25" sterling ring and pinion set yesterday in a Diesel Superduty.

Sorry, but screw that axle. I've never personally seen a 14 bolt break so I'm sold on the idea of the 14 bolt.

Granted it was a 65,000 lb sled and a Diesel with propane, chip, nitrous, 44s, two turbos, and 5" exhaust, but I've see 14 bolts hold up to far worse. His shit snapped like a twig.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Tim84K10 said:
I watched a guy in truck pulls break a 10.25" sterling ring and pinion set yesterday in a Diesel Superduty.

Sorry, but screw that axle. I've never personally seen a 14 bolt break so I'm sold on the idea of the 14 bolt.

Granted it was a 65,000 lb sled and a Diesel with propane, chip, nitrous, 44s, two turbos, and 5" exhaust, but I've see 14 bolts hold up to far worse. His shit snapped like a twig.

"Screw that Axle", thats a comment that came from lack of knowledge, aftermarket support for the Sterling is a little better, not much but a little a few more gear ratios over the 14 bolt, ARB anyone, oh and wait 35 spline axles over 30 spline. Need i say more since you decided to spout off here is a little more food for thought.

And then you say you have personally never seen one break, probably because you arent working them that hard. Would we like to talk longevity or Warranty problems from the 14bolt. Ive got records dating back years for oil field trucks, and almost all of my 14 bolt equipt chevys gave me rearend bearing problems. But i'll give you that Both axles have thier issues the Sterling twisting tubes is rare, I twisted mine but 200k miles with 983 ft/lbs and 35's pullling 30k lbs all the time will take its toll.

Well then how about i say i have seen my fair share of both of them break over the years. Tractor pulls, Sand, on the Highway. Ive even ripped the Pinion Bearing out of a Sterling and twisted the splines off of more than one corp 14 bolt with a 5.9 cummins powered 70 shevy plow truck. So whats your point, better yet how many Sterlings have you abused, oh no wait you saw ONE break in a tractor pull so they all must be shit. So i got more than that with 14 bolts that I have broke so they really must shit. Actually, everything has its limits, but a comment about limits would make sense.

A 14 bolt held up to Far worse, LIKE WHAT. There isnt a truck out there that came with a Diesel motor pushing that kind of horsepower and being used that way that came with a factory 14 bolt, MOST pullers will even tell you they look for something with a stronger pinion bearing and axle shaft setup than a 14 bolt, Why do you think there are three pinion bearings in the 14 bolt because when they designed it the first few years were plagued with pinion fialures, warranty work and the bandaid was adding a third. Or Better yet if the 14 bolt is SO GREAT and NEVER Breaks from your personal experience why did GM when they finally put together a decent Diesel ditch the idea of putting it in front of the 14 bolt. Because the first couple of trucks they tested in Montana and Idaho on the passes had a 14 bolt in them were eating Pinion bearings over durations of pulling heavy loads.

I have heard that the pumpkin on the Sterling has less hang down than the 14 bolt but i have never taped one. So take it all for what its worth. But dont just say screw that axle, when you dont even know what the Fuck you are talking about. :flipoff2:

PS If you really want an axle get a Dana 80, Cause personally i hate both the Sterling and the 14 Bolt and you'll never get me to ruin another one but thats me and im disgruntled after spending too many cold nights on the side of a highway because of those two axles :).

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
are you crabby today :flipoff2:

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
I know I pulled the same sled in a lower gear than he did and I still managed to drive back to the pits and onto my trailer.

Those additional gear options you're mentioning are what he was running. That's also what broke. I guess it isn't so great to offer super low gears for an axle when the pinion gets too small.

He was not allowed to run his propane and nitrous so basically the only power he had came from having a 6 liter powerstroke with two turbos and a 150 HP chip. There were plenty of gas pulling trucks there with far more horsepower than that (close to double).

The reason GM came out with the bigger 14 bolt when they came out with this body style of truck has nothing to do with it being prone to failure. They came out with it because newer trucks are rated for more WEIGHT than older trucks because trailers and payloads are getting heavier and heavier, thus the requirement to have heavier drivetrain. There is no question in my mind that the regular 14 bolt could easily take Duramax torque...just not the weight of a 12,000# + GVWR that those trucks are expected to have. EVERYTHING in newer trucks is getting heavier (tires, axles, bearings) to sustain more and more trailer weight becauase that's what the market is demanding now more than ever before.

The 14 bolt has always had 3 pinion bearings, it's not a band-aid for poor design, it was made that way to maximize strength from day one.

If you broke a 14 bolt you either didn't put it together correctly or you were doing something extremely stupid.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tim84K10 said:
He was not allowed to run his propane and nitrous so basically the only power he had came from having a 6 liter powerstroke with two turbos and a 150 HP chip. There were plenty of gas pulling trucks there with far more horsepower than that (close to double).
Did the driver swap in a 6.0 power stroke into an older truck or swap in a 10.25 into a new truck? Because the 6.0/10.25 combo never came. The newer super duty's came with the 10.50.

Were the other truck's running the same size tires and everythign else? If they weren't who cares.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
No, obviously other trucks weren't running 44" tires to pull. This idiot had a show truck that he decided to pull with, and broke it.

Other trucks pulled the sled further than he did though, putting them under far more strain (weight continues increasing as the sled moves forward).

Actually now that I check my books, it was a 10.50" Sterling. He claimed he had 5.56 ratio gears, also. I'm not even sure that ratio is available for that axle.

He had the gears set up by a, "Professional" but somehow I just don't buy that the backlash was correct if he did manage to strip the ring and pinion.

Either way, I'm not convinced that the big sterling is superior in strength to the 14 bolt. If I had a ford it'd probably have a 14 bolt under it too.

The reason the ARB is available for the big sterling and not for the 14 bolt is simple as well. The 14 bolt is set up like larger axles made for much heavier trucks and it simply wouldn't be priced anywhere near what it costs for other axles because the bomb proof stock 14 bolt carrier would require replacement.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tim84K10 said:
No, obviously other trucks weren't running 44" tires to pull. This idiot had a show truck that he decided to pull with, and broke it.

Other trucks pulled the sled further than he did though, putting them under far more strain (weight continues increasing as the sled moves forward).
A truck that wasn't built to pull, nor to handle that much power or stress break a rear axle? Doesn't sound surprising to me, I've seen 14 bolt's break under mud truck's. Nothing is indestructable. The sterling is a good axle and so is the 14 bolt. But i'm with the other guy, if I was doing shit like that i'd be running a D80.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Tim84K10 said:
The 14 bolt has always had 3 pinion bearings, it's not a band-aid for poor design, it was made that way to maximize strength from day one.

Better talk to the factory then because between January of 1992 to December of 1998 I had 86 FACTORY setup Corporate 14 bolts with rear end failures in field service trucks, 1/2 were covered under warranty all utility body and or flat bed trucks pulling trailers all doing the same amount of service as Fords (with 37 failures) and Dodges (with 36) and the 14 bolt was the most prone to early failure of Pinion Bearings. (all failures were documented under 100k miles during the service life of the vehicles)

I can also tell you how many Sterlings gave us oil seal problems in the late 80's to early 90's too that was a PITA also.

"If you broke a 14 bolt you either didn't put it together correctly or you were doing something extremely stupid" my point exactly with the Sterling that broke also.

As to my breaking 14 bolts the 30 splines is less than 35 the physical fact remains that it is not as strong, in my case in 1996 Montana had some of the deepest snow in years Tire chains and 40-50 miles a day of solid plowing took its toll, it didnt supprise me with numerous people running the truck that splines kept twisting.

I agree about the pinion becoming too small, but yet i do know that they use the 7.17 gear ratio in sterling equipt short trucks that drag jets ... 737's and 747's around several northern Airports including Seattle international and they seem to last but hey what do they know.

As to the reasoning behind GM's Decision for the heavier axle it was a good one they needed a heavier axle, they did test 6 Trucks in Western Montana and Idaho Prior to release all equipt with 10.5 14 bolts and ALL had suffered signs of or did suffer premature bearing pFailure, max loaded properly with Goosenecks to factory Spec, they pulled Evaro hill, White Bird Pass, Lookout pass and Mcdonald pass. So im sorry i care to differ and always will that the 14 bolt has failed and will always have problems with the contant low end torque hammering of a diesel, plus my numerous experiences with Cummins equipt hotshot pulling trucks that have had 14 bolts.

Tube thickness (seem to recall it being the same)
Weight rating (14 Bolt was teh same or they were within 200lbs of each other)
Axle spline count (30 vs 35)
Availability of an ARB amongst more gear ratios (need i say anymore on this other than Why do they make a ARB for a dana 80 and not the Corp 14 an 80 has another 1000lbs ontop of a 14 for rating)

I seem to recall they both use crush sleeves but my memory is getting a little foggy, i know the sterling does but its been a few years since i have had to tear apart a Corp, probably because i hate them, but i also Recommend them to others looking to upgrade (i dont just spout off Screw that axle).

"He was not allowed to run his propane and nitrous so basically the only power he had came from having a 6 liter powerstroke with two turbos and a 150 HP chip. There were plenty of gas pulling trucks there with far more horsepower than that (close to double)."

OK, Show me a REAR wheel dyno sheet that shows a GAS engine putting down more torque than that diesel........ That combo should have been in the 1200-1400 ft/lbs probably from 1400-2800 RPM if properly setup. Pay for HP drive with Torque, Glad to hear you out pulled him, what are you running for a motor? just curious, anyways I wonder how many times that diff has been hammered with the full potential of that motor before it broke, like Beat95yj says he can break a ballbearing in a padded room, the same holds true with Diffs.

My point is still that you said screw that axle, people have been saying that about D61's for years too but with no justification just one or two bad experiences and they let that guide them for the rest of thier lives defending thier opinion without ever evaluating things further.

I will still stand by my opinion that they are both pieces of shit and i will never run another in a hotshot rig. they work fine For ease and general longevity, but not under strenuous conditions. Petersons is running what 48's on that Superduty thing and they twisted the tubes so now they run welded tubes, alot of wheeling thing seems to hold up pretty well, just like a 14 bolt it holds up ok. So saying screw that axle isnt really an educated statement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts