Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to attach a new spring hanger from all pro off road to my 85 yota.......Want to know what Stick (Electrode) to use on a DC Arc for the route pass and the cap. What stick will give me good penetration and strength. Looking for the best options.

MIG out of the qeustion I am not blessed as some. :(

·
Registered
607 Posts
CLIFFORDPW said:
I want to attach a new spring hanger from all pro off road to my 85 yota.......Want to know what Stick (Electrode) to use on a DC Arc for the route pass and the cap. What stick will give me good penetration and strength. Looking for the best options.

MIG out of the qeustion I am not blessed as some. :(

i use some sticks from Home Depot.. "Lincoln Electric Stick Electrode 7018 AC" and between 90-105 amps depending on what im welding.. the sticks are pretty good for being $10 bucks. i welded some angle iron onto part of the frame i cracked, and its solid as hell :D you should be good with something like that

·
Registered
171 Posts
Juice said:
i use some sticks from Home Depot.. "Lincoln Electric Stick Electrode 7018 AC" and between 90-105 amps depending on what im welding.. the sticks are pretty good for being $10 bucks.
I second that, I used those same ones when I did all my spring hangers.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yep, I like 7018 rod, and get 3/32nds if you want good penatration on metal up to about 3/16" thick. The 1/8" rod is too damn big (IMO) to weld anything less that 3/16".

Make sure both of your surfaces are CLEAN and grease free too!

Once you clean the weld, makes for a real nice looking bead too.

It is a little harder to weld with than a 6013 rod though, so if you're new to welding, you might wanna practice a little with it first.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
CLIFFORDPW said:
Want to know what Stick (Electrode) to use on a DC Arc for the route pass and the cap. What stick will give me good penetration and strength. Looking for the best options.
Since you're using DC just buy some 7018 or 6011 and use it. Don't get 7018 AC!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
ANY 18 series rod is AC or DC and runs reverse polarity. I really like the 18's because if you get a good arc you can use it as a drag rod and get really clean welds. It's also easier to clean up if you use an 18 rod. Smack it with a slag hammer and all of the flux shatters, unlike the 11 series which are a PITA to clean up.

For spring hangers go with a 70 rod, a good balance of strength and fatigue resistance.

So again, i'll also recommend a 7018.

Justin

·
Registered
12 Posts
7018 rod is great for tensile strength, and 6010 is for penetration. I doubt you need to make 2 passes, but if you do, start w/ 6010 as a root (3/32) and cap w/ 7018 (3/32). You may need to run hotter w/ 7018

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would practice first since you seem to be new at welding especially when you are welding something important as spring hangers. good luck oh and I lick Peter Zombori's idea.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
when i built trucks with a stick welder(exo cages, 4link, sliders, flatbed, etc) i used 6010 for the root pass(when needed) and 7014 for the cover. the 7018 and 7014 series rods need more amps to burn cause the flux coating is different and thicker

like 80 for a 1/8 6010 and 115-125 for the 1/8 70 series...

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
For something like a spring hangar, I personally would use 6010 or 6011. From my experiences, you will get better penetration, and that would be more important on something critical like a spring hangar.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
327 Posts
If I were going to do two passes with a stick welder I would do a 6010 root pass.Clean slag really well and do a 7018 cap pass.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
when i built trucks with a stick welder(exo cages, 4link, sliders, flatbed, etc) i used 6010 for the root pass(when needed) and 7014 for the cover. the 7018 and 7014 series rods need more amps to burn cause the flux coating is different and thicker

Are you kidding, you use 2 different rods :laughing: Sorry but thats pretty anal :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hoxviii said:
ANY 18 series rod is AC or DC and runs reverse polarity. I really like the 18's because if you get a good arc you can use it as a drag rod and get really clean welds. It's also easier to clean up if you use an 18 rod. Smack it with a slag hammer and all of the flux shatters, unlike the 11 series which are a PITA to clean up.

For spring hangers go with a 70 rod, a good balance of strength and fatigue resistance.

So again, i'll also recommend a 7018.

Justin
Wrong. Look at a stick electrode manual. Not all 18 rod is for both ac and dc.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Hammerlock said:
Exactly, that's why they make a SPECIAL version for AC. It's called 7018 AC, If it doesn't say that it's regular 7018 DC rod.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Hammerlock said:

64Trvlr said:
Exactly, that's why they make a SPECIAL version for AC. It's called 7018 AC, If it doesn't say that it's regular 7018 DC rod.

Good job boys, keep up the misinformation :shaking:

BTW;

You both are wrong. The AWS spec (AWS 5.1, Class E7018-*) indicates that E7018 is to be able to be used with either AC or DCEP current. As well the 8 in 7018 indicates the type of flux used to coat the wire electrode and also determines the power supply that should be used with the electrode.

The 7018 AC is a rod with a specific flux coating highly recommended for applications using small 208/230V, single-phase AC welders. 7018 AC has a smooth, stable arc and offers outstanding restriking capabilities. Even though it is designed for AC operation, this versatile filler metal also works exceptionally well with DC utility-type welders.

If I was running a small DC box like a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC or Lincoln Tombstone AC/DC that is a small transformer/rectifier machine I would be buying 7018AC to use due to the low OCV inherent in these machines. 6010/6011 would be my choice for the root pass as well.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'll defend my original position and thank jasonmt for his information:

7018 Welding Electrodes
A low-hydrogen electrode for use in all positions on low, medium and high-carbon steels. 70,000 PSI tensile strength. Ideal for out-of-position welding and tacking. Runs on AC or DCEP (reverse) polarity.

Justin

·
Registered
734 Posts
jasonmt said:
Good job boys, keep up the misinformation :shaking:

BTW;

You both are wrong. The AWS spec (AWS 5.1, Class E7018-*) indicates that E7018 is to be able to be used with either AC or DCEP current. As well the 8 in 7018 indicates the type of flux used to coat the wire electrode and also determines the power supply that should be used with the electrode.

The 7018 AC is a rod with a specific flux coating highly recommended for applications using small 208/230V, single-phase AC welders. 7018 AC has a smooth, stable arc and offers outstanding restriking capabilities. Even though it is designed for AC operation, this versatile filler metal also works exceptionally well with DC utility-type welders.

If I was running a small DC box like a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC or Lincoln Tombstone AC/DC that is a small transformer/rectifier machine I would be buying 7018AC to use due to the low OCV inherent in these machines. 6010/6011 would be my choice for the root pass as well.
That's not what the Lincoln electrode manual says. Guess it's wrong and I should throw it away. :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts