Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 Jeep CJ-7 (in case you couldn't tell from my name). Within the last week or so, the steering has been deteriorating. It started out the when I turned to the right, it acted like it caught on something. With a little more pressure, it would free up. It has gotten worse, to the point that now it is very difficult to turn the wheel in either direction. It only really seems to do this when I first get going, and more so at low speeds. After I get going, it seems to improve.
The jeep has manual steering, and nothing on it has changed recently to coincide with this problem.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Make sure you don't have any loose parts in the suspension or steering systems. Then check the balljoints to make sure there is no play in them. The steering links could be binding, the box could be going bad, lots of things to check.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is a good way to check the ball joints?
The tires were just rotated and balanced a couple of days ago (although this started before that), and the air is fine.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Raise both tires off the ground, and disconnect the drag link from the steering, and rotate the wheels by hand, there should be little effort in doing so. If there is no problem there, then sounds like you either have a weak pump or a bad steering box, and there is NO easy way to tell one from the other, just gotta bite the bullet and start with the cheaper of the 2 parts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check that tonight crash. And since it is manual steering, I think I can safely rule out a problem with the pump.:D

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Well, that definately narrows it down :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts