Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new rough country lift for my 79 scout 2 and went with a 34x10.50 ltb swamper. Its a 4 inch lift kit. It is very depressing it is worthless, its stiff as it can be and has no flex whatsoever. It will not go anywhere off road. Has anyone else had this problem.. thanks

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I got a new rough country lift for my 79 scout 2 and went with a 34x10.50 ltb swamper. Its a 4 inch lift kit. It is very depressing it is worthless, its stiff as it can be and has no flex whatsoever. It will not go anywhere off road. Has anyone else had this problem.. thanks
I think the only reasonable solution is to drink heavily. If you haven't started yet, then you have some catching up to do. The alternate would be to load the scout up with a few thousand pounds of ballast. It will also greatly improve the scouts ability to go downhill.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Great first post dude. You are on the right track to be an official fuck. At least you have kept up with the mysterious rule of "DAN Tuesday".

As for your issue...The lift you bought is notoriously stiff. The only off-roading improvement you will see is the ability to fit those LTB's you bought.

You would have been better off cutting the fenders, adding bumpstops for the up travel, and putting a little bit of body lift under it.

·
Blower Binder
645 Posts
I think the only reasonable solution is to drink heavily. If you haven't started yet, then you have some catching up to do. The alternate would be to load the scout up with a few thousand pounds of ballast. It will also greatly improve the scouts ability to go downhill.
Its uphill, get it right.:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Great first post dude. You are on the right track to be an official fuck. At least you have kept up with the mysterious rule of "DAN Tuesday".

As for your issue...The lift you bought is notoriously stiff. The only off-roading improvement you will see is the ability to fit those LTB's you bought.

You would have been better off cutting the fenders, adding bumpstops for the up travel, and putting a little bit of body lift under it.
While I kind of agree here.....

Make sure the shackle bolts aren't too tight (common mistake).
Open up the spring clamps a little bit.
Wheel the every living crap out of it. Seriously. Find a crappy section of road/trail and hammer it. Get the springs to break in. Couple trips like that and you should see some improvements.

Course your first hint should have been in the name "Rough Country"... did you expect them to be soft :D Scout lift spring technology from most manufactures hasn't change in the last 30 years, so don't expect TJ ride. Thick, stiff leaves are still the norm. If your lucky they won't prematurely sag from the (likely) crappy manufacturing method.

Nothing wrong with 4" lift springs in principle, just don't expect smooth ride and awesome articulation.

·
Registered
738 Posts
-Loosen the Shackle bolts
-take off the "sway bar"

I will say this, gusset your spring hangers while they are still attached. I had one rip off completely and punch a hole in my frame, and as we were welding that all back up, I noticed the hanger on the driver's side had cracked the welds. So that got fixed before the same happened.

There is a lot of tension on these springs. The guy in the club that was doing the welding for me said they over arched the springs.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You bought a bargain set of lift springs, and now you know why Mexican crap:shaking: Learn that the search is your friend, then you would know Sky Jacker Soft Rides cost more but are well worth the extra cash because of the ride quality.

And Chi, it is worth repeating, all that weight adding will enable your Scout to climb like a goat, but few here will be able to drive a rig that capable. Best leave the ballast to the pro's:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
easy fix, pull the pack and remove a leaf or two, a year or so from now you can add it back in.
x2 on the shackle bolt being over tight. Should be able to move the shackle by hand with no spring attached.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts