Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i posted the other day about the pertronix ignition. i checked the web site and they don't list the application that would apply to the electronic dist. that I already have. is there a pertronix module to refit the stock, 2F electronic distributor? also got a question about the timing. I checked it the other day at idle. but my idle is way too high. is there an idle adjustment screw on the 78 stock carb? I adjusted the idle by adjusting the idle mix screw, but as it got lower it started to run like shit and threatened to stall. so i set the timing for 7btdc at my idle (1000rpm) it actually seemed ok in the middle of the power band, but not so hot at either end. I did see the post about the vacuum ports on the cap--could that help any? not with the idle, but performance wise???

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
IT'S PROBOBLY A BETTER IDEA TO PUT THIS POST AS A REPLY TO YOUR OTHER THREAD. HELPS KEEP THINGS UNCLUTTERED, THEN WE KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT TOO

;)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
There is no pertronix for the 1978 and newer distributors.

The toyota electronic setup is pretty damn good. I would not try to trade it for a pertronix.

There is an idle speed screw on the carb. you have to be on the left side of the carb. coming from the top down on the back side. It is a bit hidden but can be reached with a long thin screwdriver.

The toyota emissions manual has the best description on setting all the stuff in the RIGHT order. Makes a HUGE difference.

-Brett

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Don't get why a Pertonix system wouldn't fit. Is it because of the lack of the points ticker star on the distributor shaft? I know Henry C runs one in his FJ62 but since it's not USA is it possible it had points one upon a time? All F and 2F distributors are interchangable, and 3FE to an extent. Dizzies that had original points systems can usually be found pretty cheap. There are some "shaft wear" issues but if you were to use a '77 for example I wouldn't see much difference than your '78. Once I install this HEI I may consider selling my '79 electonic (dizzy is significantly upgraded from '78, and it only has one vaccuum line (and the two cap lines), very easy to plumb. I'd maybe let the whole system go for $100. It also uses a mini truck water-tight ignitor and coil, better than the FJ40 & 60 ignitor setups IMO. I also have the same Crane Cams setup in a '75 distributor with maybe 20 hours on it. I pulled it thinking it was misfiring (and timing light finally crapped out after many faithful years), turned out to be the carb. Since Toyota and Crane ignition are similar IMO, never went back. I'd also probably let that whole system/unit go for maybe $100 too.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The pertronix does not fit the electronic distributors becuse it is a direct replacement for the point module, which does not have the same screw spacing or location as the Toyota electronic module. Also the unit is a hall cell, which requires magnets, which are imbedded in the plastic wheel, which fits precisely over the six lobed cam on the distributor shaft, and wont fit correctly over the star wheel. for the curious, the star wheel wont trigger the pertonix becuase of differnet principals of operation. OEM Toyota is based on induced magnetic field, and Pertronix is magnetic swithching style, IIRC.

You can locate a 74 and older dist and use it to install the pertronixs, but to the best of my knowledge no pertronix will fit 75 and newer distributors, either points or electronic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts