Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301129

For those that don't venture into the Suzuki section, I thought I'd share some pics of a build up that Dallas of Stinkyfab and I have been keeping busy with. I am very happy with the results. We didn't always agree on things, but we always came to a great compromise, and managed to stay within my rather low budget.

We started with my old Samurai that was all Toyota drivetrain including the twin t-cases. But the motor is a Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo (4G63T).

We did a little trimming and thinning till we had about what we wanted to keep:

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started making some changes on the engine as I wanted to make some packaging changes. First I flipped the turbo around and made a custom O2 housing:

We bought some tube:

Set up the chassis jig: (Thanks to Geargoyle, Rusty for the use of the jig.)

Started laying out the drivetrain on the jig:

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then started work on the front clip. Here I'm trying to figure out the mounting for the Chevy steering box. The front shocks are mocked up.

It will be pretty tight...

Panhard mount finished on the front axle:

Continued work on the front clip. Steering box and winch mounted, intercooler, radiator, Taurus fan, etc.

Once the front was pretty far along it was time to give the rear some attention.

This was going to be a 3 seater, but recently I changed my mind and the rear will be used as a dog platform. My puppy likes wheeling. :flipoff2:

I'll post up some more a bit later.

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already hat them mated from the Samurai build up. I used a custom bellhousing that I actually payed a guy in Florida to make. I payed way to much and the bellhousing is about as nasty a pile of crap as you could make, but amazingly it is holding up just fine. I have a one off bellhousing and adapter in progress that I will eventually drop into the buggy.

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Wayne, you attention whore. Why don’t you just link it to the thread in zuk talk? OH WAIT! because it should have been here the whole time :flipoff2: since it really only has a zuk hood and grill. :shaking: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

oh yea.... :flipoff2:Just in case you missed the 1st three.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Oh and I'll ask again for the 2nd time when you will change you screen name. Since you ditched the RX7 motor(Roto), and now you got rid of the samurai part of your rig(Zuk):confused:

How about Mitsubugota:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bill4rest said:
Wayne, you attention whore. Why don’t you just link it to the thread in zuk talk?
That thread is a mess with all of the idiot posts and such, this is the clean and compiled version.

I mostly wanted to show the different direction of construction. Connecting the dots, and building at full compression really does take a lot of the guess work out of a project. In the end I had 1 clearance issue with the rear shocks, and I was pretty sure it was going to be an issue during the build. My last rig had 4 clearance problems just in the steering linkage. :barf:

And I was bored at work today. :flipoff2: When we going wheeling? Dallas has the buggy out at Cugar Buttes this weekend for some demo drives...

The name stays. It still has Samurai parts!! I swear.

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
rotozuk said:
That thread is a mess with all of the idiot posts and such, this is the clean and compiled version.

I mostly wanted to show the different direction of construction. Connecting the dots, and building at full compression really does take a lot of the guess work out of a project. In the end I had 1 clearance issue with the rear shocks, and I was pretty sure it was going to be an issue during the build. My last rig had 4 clearance problems just in the steering linkage. :barf:

And I was bored at work today. :flipoff2: When we going wheeling? Dallas has the buggy out at Cugar Buttes this weekend for some demo drives...

The name stays. It still has Samurai parts!! I swear.

-Wayne
BAHAHAH, Man I wish I can go wheeling. Everytime somebody goes, I have to work :mad3: 24 hour ops and I have to be there:(

Oh wait, you mean little bullshit post like this one? :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Time for some more pics..

Then mounted up the rear shocks and added some trussing front and rear.

Made up the rear panhard mount:

Roof cross bracing:

Rear winch, and rear tub bars in place: (I have since been informed that mounting the winch this way may result in a busted winch.)

Seat from a Geo Tracker and Optima in place.

Lots of head room back there:

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So back to the build.. Started work on plumbing the engine.

Seats and other things added:

Steering clearance. Keep in mind that this vehicle is being built with the suspension at FULL stuff.

Passengers under floor foot heating system:

Driver's floor: (modified Samurai pedals)

Overall:

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wrapped the passengers under floor foot heating system with 50 feet of header wrap: (This stuff works great!)

Plumbed the turbo and such:

Once we had a lot of the interior work done we added the door bars:

Rear winch/limit strap layout and brake lines:

Dallas loves doing nice brakelines:

And we will leave you here for now.

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK.. so how about some more pictures?

He got a lot of that little annoying stuff out of the way and popped on the side skins:

some cheap tail lights, etc.

Finally we were ready to pull it off the chassis jig and mount the shocks and tires:

How many builds do you see where the thing never gets tires, or suspension test flexed until it is ready to drive?

It was great to drive it around!

Then we got to work and painted and finished more of those little things:

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only rock near the shop:

So we tried the building:

A few observations. First off, you can see the seats and everything are pretty low in this vehicle. (I'm 6'5" tall) We tried to keep everything as low possible and really have no heavy item above the nerf line except for parts of the engine and the rear winch and part of the fuel tank. As a result of this and our settings of the air shocks we have NO need for an anti-sway bar. This is very unusual when using the air shocks. This vehicle is very stable and solid. Dallas reports that it does great doughnuts too.

If we need even better control we have winches front and rear that can suck down the axles. I can lower the vehicle about 6" or so without much trouble. This puts so much preload on the air shocks that I could probably compete in a drift car show.

-Wayne

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The buggy has been out 2 times now. One was a trip to Moab with a stop in Phoenix on the way, and it was at the 4 wheel parts event near the Hammers. Here are some pics from Moab, and a short video.

Moab video.

I like this picture:

My first obstacle:

Dallas has a lot of headroom in my buggy, and he isn't short.

I'm very happy with the little beast. Just need to finish some things off and enjoy it. Suspension is working very well, and no need at all for any anti-sway bars.

Hope you all enjoyed the pics.

-Wayne

1 - 20 of 50 Posts