Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bone stock (except for exhaust) 2000 XJ 4x4 with UpCountry suspension that I'd like to use for some off roading.

The mighty 4x4 has gotten me stuck in barely any mud before and I'd like to avoid doing that, as well as probably lift it up.

Anybody have any suggestions on mods? I've seen a 6.5" lift kid with new wheels/rubber for $2,300, but that doesn't take care of the fact that when I get stuck the only wheel or wheels that usually spin are the ones that don't need to spin and have zero traction, and the ones that need to spin don't spin at all.

The upcountry gave a bit of a factory lift, but I'd like to focus on either a slight added lift, but mostly on traction on and off road.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
What tires do you have now? What kind of mechanical/fabrication skills do you have? What is your budget?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front wheels have also gotten me stuck before, unfortunately taking it into the dealership (when I had warranty) and saying "I get stuck off roading" wasn't something I was going to try :p
I do have a front metal skid plate (part of the Upcountry I think). Lockers may help I think

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Current tires are Yoko Geolander AT-S, and need to go because they're about 4-5yrs old (only have 10,000 miles on them, but crap for traction).

Mechanical skills I'd say a bit above average, fabrication very little, but do know some people that may be able to help with that.

Budget wise.... I was looking at maybe just selling the XJ and buying a lifted and already modded pickup, but then figured maybe if I can spend max a couple grand into this that may be better.

Option for buying a nicely done truck is still open though, as I'll also be able to use it for towing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not my DD but is partly my winter beater and partly bad weather vehicle and if I need to buy/get heavy stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've had it since new, so I'd like to keep it if I can get it properly offroading under $2grand.

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
Well I've had it since new, so I'd like to keep it if I can get it properly offroading under $2grand.
Skid plates/rock sliders $400
Tires $800
Rear Locker $300
Spend the other $500 on good tow hooks/clevis mounts, tools, and going wheeling.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You can do a lot for 2 grand with a jeep xj. But I would figure out the tires and size you want to run first. 31's - 33's will require minimal lift and some fender cutting. Add a front and rear lunchbox locker you are right around 2g's plus or minus a few bills. And will have a xj that will do a lot more then you can do.

You can go 35's plus but then you are looking at new axles more lift more body mods and new gears along with unibody reinforcing. And that adds up a lot more in the money department.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts