Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock Car Parts - Great source for cheap stuff...anyhow.

I want to run a stock car type steering column and shaft. Anyone got pics of the mounting? Also people refer to the 3/4" oversized hiems...what are these for? Is this when you use more than 2 universals? enlighten me. thanks!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
the 3/4" oversize heims have a slightly oversize bore so you can slide a 3/4" steering shaft thru them and use the Heim as a shaft support. you can put a steering u-joint between heims to get the shaft to make some strange angles.

matt

·
Registered
877 Posts
Check with

www.howe.com
www.speedwaymotors.com
www.racecarparts.com

That should get you started, also most chassis shops will stock the .775 heim, steering wheel, hub, and then you can just get the shaft at your local steel shop. If you were here I could sale you all, I also stock all that as well. As far as mounting goes I just weld suports to the dash bar most the time although I have gone off the firewall when a dash bar was not an option.

Good luck, and Good choice

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'll try to snag some good pics of our super-late model steering setups. We use collapsible shafts (in the event that the driver's chest hits the wheel in a crash). The steering wheel end accepts a quick disco. The other is splined to take a standard steering shaft u-joint (of which there are several sizes/variations). The shafts rides not in heims (which *could* be used), but in specialized mounts that allows rotational movement of the shaft as well as misalignment until it is "locked" down. One mount hangs from a bracket welded to the dash bar. The other is incorporate into the firewall.

The pics will tell the story better ... should have some thursday or friday when I'm at work next.

cmk

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cmk said:
I'll try to snag some good pics of our super-late model steering setups. We use collapsible shafts (in the event that the driver's chest hits the wheel in a crash). The steering wheel end accepts a quick disco. The other is splined to take a standard steering shaft u-joint (of which there are several sizes/variations). The shafts rides not in heims (which *could* be used), but in specialized mounts that allows rotational movement of the shaft as well as misalignment until it is "locked" down. One mount hangs from a bracket welded to the dash bar. The other is incorporate into the firewall.

The pics will tell the story better ... should have some thursday or friday when I'm at work next.

cmk
This is what im talking about....but what allows it to collapse (yet stay rigid in use)? Is there weld that is just strongenough to hold, yet will collaps upon impact?? Spring loaded?? Or does it only collapse from the other end (i.e., if the frame crunches it collapses) Pictures will help. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The collapsible portion is integral to the steering shaft (the portion that runs from the steering wheel to the firewall). The collapsible length sits between the two spherical mounts (one at the dash bar, the other at the firewall). In the event of a bad front end wreck and the stub gets pushed back towards the driver, the shaft will collapse from the firewall back keeping the steering wheel from extending back into the driver's chest. Or, if the driver comes forward hard enough to impact the steering wheel, the dash bar mount has just enough of a "fit" to allow the shaft to slide forward through the mount and collapse upon itself keeping the steering wheel from making a "bad impression" on the driver.

cm "get it, 'bad impression' ?!" k

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've seen some simple and clean column drops built using the over-bored Hiem hanging from the dash bar, that may be worth considering since you've got quite a bit of "cushion" between your vitals and the steering wheel (or are you just big boned?)

You're probably best off using what cm"knows some shit"k recommends.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4Bangler said:
I've seen some simple and clean column drops built using the over-bored Hiem hanging from the dash bar, that may be worth considering since you've got quite a bit of "cushion" between your vitals and the steering wheel (or are you just big boned?)

You're probably best off using what cm"knows some shit"k recommends.
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: (and im just festivly plump!)

Do those heims last long?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Heims used as steering support bearings should have a pretty long life, unless you consistently pack dirt into them.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I didn't get a chance to snag any pics tonight ... too busy gettin' three cars ready for the season. I'll snag some on saturday though ... have to run into the shop for the day to help the boss man install a vehicle lift.

cmk

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
cmk said:
... another good website for a manufacturer and not just a supplier:

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/

Sweet Mfg. also makes a lot of the u-joints and such, but I'm not aware of a site for them.

cmk
I worked on one of the expansions for that shop. There's some cool equipment in there. It's got a huge air conditioner to keep the shop at a constant temperature so the machines stay calibrated.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
AlumCJ said:
any luck on those pictures???
I apologize man. I haven't forgotten about it, I've just been too busy at the shop to find 10 minutes to take pics. I'll try like hell on Thursday to get them.

cmk

·
Registered
130 Posts
mike,

just bring me my yoke this week and u can look at mine. . im running stock car steering shafts with weld in u-joints for the angles. and oversized 3/4 pillow block style on my dash and at firewall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts