Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a stock diesel 1980 CJ with an "X" in the VIN which indicates the engine.

I am concerned about parts for the engine which we think is a Peugot

Does anybody know the engine model that came with this?

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
CJ7
A diesel powered version was made in the Ohio factory for export only. The engines were provided by General Motors, the owners of Isuzu Motor Cars. Production of this diesel version is believed to have been only between 1980 and 1982. This model had the Isuzu C240 engine, T176 Transmission, Dana 300 Transfer box although there are reports of some being produced with the dana 20. Typically they had 4.1 ratio, narrow track axles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
x is not a standard engine code US built 1980 jeep. Nor is diesel option listed in (retail) sales brochure.
diesel is listed 1981+ (f code). If US built: maybe dusty is right and this is early production isuzu diesel, or maybe it's something else.
:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owner claims it's a Peugot engine with a Zeitgeist Turbo. My concern is that the clutch or transmission is hosed. It won't go into gear while the engine is running. So if someone made an engine swap along the way and did not beef up the rest of the drivetrain, I could be purchasing a headache.

How do I find out if this stock or not? I wrote to Jeep, but I am not holdiong my breath.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
there was a dealership in CA that offered them in cj's during the early 80's. i've seen a few since then pop up on craigslist about once every 2+ years, it was usually the peugot diesel since they could legally get passed the smog since peugot was offering that diesel in the same class of car in the same year. whatever the deal was i do remember there was something funky in the vin code denoting that it was a dealership installed engine or something of that nature. but thats all i can offer. recollection that it was done and they are out there, that there was some goofiness about them and that i've seen them on craigslist.

hydraulic master/slave might be shot and clutch might be fine. you are purchasing a headache... its a jeepache

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Could be a dealer installation, my old landlord has a 64? CJ5 with a Perkins diesel that his dad bought new. I don't know if it was factory fitted or done by the dealer, but the fact is that he drove off the lot with a brand new diesel 5. If this thing has been sitting, even if the clutch linkage/hydraulics are working, the disc may be rusted to the flywheel/pressure plate. If it looks like a quality install and the rest of the Jeep looks good, the problem you describe is most likely an easy fix.
Travis..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts