Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone what how long the slip yokes are on a stock front and rear driveshaft?? really didn't see any info in the search or maybe my dumbass just wasn't looking in the right place:flipoff2:

thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
you might want to clarify on what kinda of truck. im would imagine the ifs and SA we different.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I believe they are both right about 5" measured mine awhile ago IFS and SA where the same. 4-5" slip.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
five inches. well metric equivalent anyway. front and rears on sa and ifs the same. works ok for a front sas if you limit uptravel and don't go overboard on the flex:D

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aaron t said:
five inches. well metric equivalent anyway. front and rears on sa and ifs the same. works ok for a front sas if you limit uptravel and don't go overboard on the flex:D
well i really don't want to limit anything.. i look at it as if your gonna limit stuff,whay do it it in the 1st place then limit it :) i was just wondering on this since i have the buggy leaf in the rear of my truck and wasn't for sure if i would have to get a long travel slip yoke also for the rear. i was told that the stock slip was 7.5" and wasn't for sure if that was right or not..was wondering since i see all pro's do it yourself kit is a 8" and couldnt see paying $189 for an extra 1/2" ( if the 7.5" was true) but i see it isn't...thanks for the info on this..appreciate it

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't know your set up but a rear shaft doesn't require near the amount of slip as the front. Since the diff on the rear axle is center'd on the axle there's very little movment of the slip joint while the axle articulate's. The only time the slip joint moves alot is in an airborn ride, or if the whole axle moves straight down all at once. Even at that the axle move's closer to the t-case so it doesn't require a super long slip. Since the shackles swing to the front of the truck in this situation the axle moves closer to the t-case. I might be wrong but I would think that the All Pro long slip kit is probly used more for the front shaft than the rear shaft.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OOP'S said:
Not long enough if you have any kind of flex in the front!!
:D :D yeah i figured that 1 out when i jacked the truck up..my shaft is almost at the very bottom and still fell out:D :D guess i'm giving Jess a call for the front shaft

Raptorman57- dont you have a buggy leaf in the rear?? do you run a stock slip yoke for your application?

i was thinking on my buggy setup(rear), that i could place a limiting strap on the top of the housing( where my track bar is mounted) and run it straight up.only allow it to drop to a certain point where my shaft is still fine..i was thinking the rear axle would act like a tetter totter when flexed...would that seem to work( not limit the drop) or am i missing something and haven't thought of:confused:

appreciate the help

jeremy

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Toyotafourwheeln said:

Raptorman57- dont you have a buggy leaf in the rear?? do you run a stock slip yoke for your application?

Yes I'm running a buggy leaf but I'm still in the build up stage so not real sure how it will work yet. I haven't even begun to think about D-shaft's yet. On a regular shackle set up a regular slip should work,I would think. I was just throwing some info at ya to think about. Even with a buggy spring though I wouldn't think you would need a super long slip cause the diff is in the center. Unless you plan on airborn asults,but I would think airborn asults with buggies would be very dangerous or hard on the equipment

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
i moved my axle back about an inch in the back and used buggy leafs. the rear shaft will be fine. i have about 3 to 4 inches of lift.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The local driveshaft builder told me that the rule of thumb is 2 droop for every 1 of compression. So with 7.5 inches of slip, it should be setup for 2.5 compression and 5 of droop.

I am running 18 inches of slip in the front IIRC, so its 6 of compression and 12 of droop. I dont fall apart any more. :flipoff2:

Also, as was discussed here before, if you cut the rear shaft short enough for the front and put a LOOOONG slip on it, you can use it for either front or rear, when running dual cases. Nice way to build a spare.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alabamatoy said:
The local driveshaft builder told me that the rule of thumb is 2 droop for every 1 of compression. So with 7.5 inches of slip, it should be setup for 2.5 compression and 5 of droop.

I am running 18 inches of slip in the front IIRC, so its 6 of compression and 12 of droop. I dont fall apart any more. :flipoff2:

Also, as was discussed here before, if you cut the rear shaft short enough for the front and put a LOOOONG slip on it, you can use it for either front or rear, when running dual cases. Nice way to build a spare.

thanks for that little tip..i had thought about using only 1 shaft as a spare..i got my duals up in the truck finally this weekend and starting measuring for shafts and my rear shaft is still about 12"-16" longer( can't remeber off hand)..so i think i'm just stuck carrying 2 shafts instead of 1:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
hey fabricator. how much did that shaft run you?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fabricator said:
mine is a little more than 5"
rob, you know that would look nice under my rig:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts