Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at the pick-a-part to day scoring my t-case I scoped out about a '79 Ford F250 Custom. Lo' and behold it had what seemed to be a STOCK hydro assit seering setup. It had the steering box that has the pitman arm to the side running a 90* arm on the back of the knuckle and then the drag link that goes straight across the front. In place of the streering stab it had a hydro ram that atached to the front axle with a very slick and very factory looking braket. It had hoses routed to a valve that appeared to be part of the steering box. I couldn't look at it good, it was getting late and I wanted to get the t-case and be on my way. It is fresh in the yard so I'm going to go back and scope it out better next week.

Anyone ever hear of a setup like this? It looks like it is 100% factory but I have never heard of one. Seems the PS pump runs the ram. The truck had a plow but it does not loook like a factory job...very hillbilly.

TIA

·
Team *******
786 Posts
Yes it is factory. Ford did this for only a few years. Iv'e heard that they also did it on some of the cars to but havn't seen any. I don't know why they stopped making them but a guess would be that they always had leaking problems.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think it would have to be a 77 or earlier. Starting in 77 1/2 they went to real P/S. Most people think the assist is a POS, mostly because they leak like crazy and parts are impossible to find. My 77 hi-boy has the assist and it's had it's share of problems. The biggest improvement I made was to repair the cylinder. The rod was so worn that the chrome was gone. So I cut it appart and made a new rod and haven't had a problem since. The last time I checked (about 2 years ago) the seal kit for the cylinder was discontinued at the dealer and no one else had anything like it. The "drag link" is called a control valve and "IF" it were avalible from the dealer would run around $1200.
You would probably be better off with one of the newer add-on assist systems that are showing up. Just my opinion.
Jay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts