Pirate 4x4 banner

941 - 960 of 1201 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm hoping to pick up some Halliburton on bad news. Just for the dividend. I missed my chance a few weeks back because I was unsure aboutthe oil industry. But I'm interested now given the money printing and bailout habits.

My Gran Colombia possession will perform well given the cheap energy costs and the fact that it's one of the only gold producers still operating.

Gold X does not produce earnings. So nothing matters on that front. They did just tire a new CEO, I'm happy with his past performance.
Hal is a terrible option out of the 3 oil field service companies. Their revenue is all about fracking, they don't innovate, and their track record isn't good for acquisitions. If you want something in that area look at SLB followed by Baker.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Im a huge bag holder of PLT,unfortunately.
I want to make some money off these crazy swings but Im scared to put any more money into the bag. I didnt have any extra cash when it was at $5 so I missed that opportunity.
XtremeJ, or anyone else, What do you think of PLT?
neg P/E. might pop as people chase divs, but there's a lot of companies paying significantly higher div % than 2 months ago. was 80 jul '18... I use one of their headsets and the quality is there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hal is a terrible option out of the 3 oil field service companies. Their revenue is all about fracking, they don't innovate, and their track record isn't good for acquisitions. If you want something in that area look at SLB followed by Baker.
now THERE'S a div! SLB paying 12%

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Bankruptcy Judge clears final hurdle for PG&E's path to emerge from bankruptcy by June 30 deadline. PCG stock closes at $10.90, up 27% in one day.

:D

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
Bankruptcy Judge clears final hurdle for PG&E's path to emerge from bankruptcy by June 30 deadline. PCG stock closes at $10.90, up 27% in one day.

:D
yup, one of the articles from etrade sourced somewhere was saying they got approval to sell some stocks at ~$17 or something regardless of what the current market price is as part of the deal.

hopefully they don't burn the state down again this fall, but with the rolling blackouts...err, scheduled maint. cycles, they should have less liability exposure for the next couple years :rasta:

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
An acquaintance of mine who has historically had an uncanny knack for calling the market (he called a "late Feb/early Mar" crash back in Dec, then in Mid Feb he said the S&P would drop to "around 2850 [happened on 2/28], recover to around 3100 [happened on 3/3 - 3/4] and then crash") is calling this a "sucker's rally". I bought some PUT options today that expire next week. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
An acquaintance of mine who has historically had an uncanny knack for calling the market (he called a "late Feb/early Mar" crash back in Dec, then in Mid Feb he said the S&P would drop to "around 2850 [happened on 2/28], recover to around 3100 [happened on 3/3 - 3/4] and then crash") is calling this a "sucker's rally". I bought some PUT options today that expire next week. :laughing:
fully agree. :)

still not smart enough to take the money and rebuy on the dip :rasta:

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I'm hoping to pick up some Halliburton on bad news. Just for the dividend. I missed my chance a few weeks back because I was unsure aboutthe oil industry. But I'm interested now given the money printing and bailout habits.
Probably still a good buy in price. I bought some sub 5. :flipoff2:
SLB is a really good price still.

1,022 Posts
Funny, I never shoot for base hits. I look for deep value that's on sale at massive discounts.

My portfolio is up a little over 38% since a month ago.

Maybe it's my experience with crypto currencies. But unless I have a real a high probability to, at a minimum, double my money in less than 18 month, I'm uninterested in the risk. There's better ways to deploy capital outside of equities if my returns are small percentage base hits.

I can't stand large cap legacy stocks for that reason. I held some stocks that gave good dividends for a few years when I thought the market was going to collapse after 2016. But it had more to do with hedging my more risky speculations than actual investing for an ROI based on share price.
This strategy is what made Warren Buffet a billionaire. He is just better at it than anybody else.

What do you do to find those companies with deep value and low stock prices? Do you look for principal, physical, ownership of equipment/land/etc and manufacturing facilities? Debt/asset ratio's?

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
1,934 Posts
PCG up another 10% right now. its' heading back to pre-"we're responsible for burning your community to the ground" levels to protect all those pensions.

Ford is up 12% too $4.23 on april 3 and now 5.65. Damn, the percentage increases on cheap stocks is appealing.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Im a huge bag holder of PLT,unfortunately.
I want to make some money off these crazy swings but Im scared to put any more money into the bag. I didnt have any extra cash when it was at $5 so I missed that opportunity.
XtremeJ, or anyone else, What do you think of PLT?
As a rule I won't add to my bagholder positions, even if it does mean cost averaging down. I am assuming you are holding PLT from pre-March prices.

As of the morning of 4/9, PLT is at 12.50, there appears to have been a bottom mid March (low was sub 5), and then a second bottom 4/2 (7.xx). Could be seen as a double bottom, and the stock will now grind higher (IF fundamentals are strong). Above the 8/21 EMA, next target is 50 EMA at 12.85 (possible today), above 12.85, expect resistance around 14.50. Once it clears 14.50 there is room to 15.78, then 18.72. Huge gap to fill above 19.

IF the "experts" are correct, and the markets need to test the late March lows, there is a possibility PLT may test the 3/18 low. Possibility. Does not look good to return to above 30 for a while, could pace the rest of the market, so several months or a couple quarters most likely. If you are holding from preNov 2019, then a recovery to those levels may take another 12 months (if ever)

Warning: these levels are those I would use IF I was trading PLT day or swing trade. Long term investors need to be familiar with the fundamentals of PLT IF you are going to be buying (or bag holding) for a 18-24 month time frame. Remember there are only 4 strategies, Buy, Sell, Hold, and Cash. Hope is NOT a strategy. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #953
As a rule I won't add to my bagholder positions, even if it does mean cost averaging down. I am assuming you are holding PLT from pre-March prices.

As of the morning of 4/9, PLT is at 12.50, there appears to have been a bottom mid March (low was sub 5), and then a second bottom 4/2 (7.xx). Could be seen as a double bottom, and the stock will now grind higher (IF fundamentals are strong). Above the 8/21 EMA, next target is 50 EMA at 12.85 (possible today), above 12.85, expect resistance around 14.50. Once it clears 14.50 there is room to 15.78, then 18.72. Huge gap to fill above 19.

IF the "experts" are correct, and the markets need to test the late March lows, there is a possibility PLT may test the 3/18 low. Possibility. Does not look good to return to above 30 for a while, could pace the rest of the market, so several months or a couple quarters most likely. If you are holding from preNov 2019, then a recovery to those levels may take another 12 months (if ever)

Warning: these levels are those I would use IF I was trading PLT day or swing trade. Long term investors need to be familiar with the fundamentals of PLT IF you are going to be buying (or bag holding) for a 18-24 month time frame. Remember there are only 4 strategies, Buy, Sell, Hold, and Cash. Hope is NOT a strategy. :flipoff2:

I think we are still trading on hope and dreams, not fundamentals and facts. Earnings will be interesting, also projections on when Corona gets under control will start getting more accurate. I still believe we will re-test the lows sooner than later. This is going to take a year or more to under control and a couple years to get earnings back to where they were.

I'm going to start looking at building some short positions into summer and fall. This market rally doesn't have a solid base and will not last in my best guess. Short equities and long gold might be a play soon. SPXU, SQQQ, GLD

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
welp, F hit my sell most point of $5.50, so i'm happy with that.

I've now sold a stock for a profit for the first time in my life :rasta:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I think we are still trading on hope and dreams, not fundamentals and facts. Earnings will be interesting, also projections on when Corona gets under control will start getting more accurate. I still believe we will re-test the lows sooner than later. This is going to take a year or more to under control and a couple years to get earnings back to where they were.

I'm going to start looking at building some short positions into summer and fall. This market rally doesn't have a solid base and will not last in my best guess. Short equities and long gold might be a play soon. SPXU, SQQQ, GLD
Agreed, but a gain is a gain. My GM and CAT purchase from two weeks ago are up 30%. My portfolio is -0.5% away from being back to where it was in December and it's really tempting to sell it off and walk away for a bit, but greed says otherwise...

My retirement in TFITX however is almost back up to where it was during the worst part of the 2018 correction... Kinda wish I had taken the penalty and cashed it out the same time I did my stocks. On the bright side I never changed the contribution for it so it was still maxed out doing the same bi-weekly withdraw as before, 39,000/year.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
It's funny when people talk about fundamentals and facts in this environment. These are completely uncharted waters. We've never been able to observe what happens when you yank the e-brake on the global economy.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

Thanks for your input. Ya like march 2019 levels. I made some money on the dips back then then added to the position and didnt look at it for a while. And now here we are. So Im trying to decide if I should add to it at these low levels. Solid company but their numbers are all out of whack from the polycom acquisition.

941 - 960 of 1201 Posts