Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and did not come up with any thing so I decided to post. Is there a problem with running the stock rockwell rims with different tires. By this I mean like the 46" michelin military tires? I realize that the stock wheels are split wheels, but I dont know exactly how these work. Are the rims wide enough, or does the narrowness help you hold a bead offroad?? Any input would be appreciated, the reason that I am asking is because I have some of the stock rims and will not have a use for them after my buildup unless I can throw some decent tires on them and go wheel.

Dane

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
i wouldn't go near split rims. they're a death trap to say the least.

split rims are old school STUPID technology much like lead paint, asbestos insulation and smoking cigarettes for weight loss.

throw them away!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what I needed to know, I will use them to roll the project around the garage and then to the for sale section they go for someone else to use to roll their project around the garage. Thanks for the info.

Dane

·
Banned
3,454 Posts
You can use them but you will haft to run tubes in them because of the split rim design it will not seal correctly.If you do use these I would cut the center's out and flip them so you get a standard offset.Also make sure you take them to a tire shop for big rig's so they can mount them for you.Most shops have a machine in a cage deal because if the ring shoots off while mounting it can behead someone easily.They are not dangerous after mounting is done.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will just get some hummer wheels, I just wanted to know what would happen if I ran these wheels.

Dane

·
Registered
229 Posts
over all they are very dangerous and if i had the money like it sounds you may have go and buy hummer wheels because just to get a casing that you could run it would be very expensive and these tires can spin on the rims and with a tube you would have flat after flat. over all buy new wheels....you well come out ahead very quickly....

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thank you guys, and I appreciate that you had answers for future searchers, instead of them finding out that they need to search over and over again.

Dane

·
Registered
97 Posts
How do you take them apart? I have absolutly to air in mine 49"s and even have water trapped in the wheel. I want to remove the tire, empty them out and weld them shut before airing them up. I figure with 30 ply tires I can weld the rim withou damaging the tires. I know I will never be able to remove the tire from that rim but oh well... How do you release them ring though?

·
Registered
152 Posts
What type of wheel are you talking about? you talking lock ring or split rim? Either way I would never suggest welding a wheel. It's just not a good idea

·
Registered
97 Posts
why not welding, sure they will be out of balance, but I am not going to get 49 to balance anyway, just for off road use only. They are locking ring? Look soomething like these http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/Wheels/Split.html Wish I had a better picture, but am in the middle of moving and the camera is packed away SOMEWHERE?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts