Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got Myself a stock 99 TJ and well the first thing I noticed was how bloody low it is so I need some suggestions as to how much lift and what size tyres to run. I am on a very limited budget so It will just be some cheap tyres for now but my question really is will the stock 4.0 have enough power to push 33 or 35 or whats reckomended. It is also my daily driver so the suspension has to be quite reasonable on road as well as off-road.
Thanks for any suggetions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
oh yeah, you're gonna get it. welcome to the board... <IMG SRC="smilies/puke.gif" border="0">

we all drive low-rider heeps here. The lift kits of which you speak, what are they? Why would anyone want 35" tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
before you get really hosed <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
but your 4l should do fine, your limits really are:
lift, gears and cash

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Originally posted by Damage Man:
<STRONG>Just got Myself a stock 99 TJ and well the first thing I noticed was how bloody low it is so I need some suggestions as to how much lift and what size tyres to run. I am on a very limited budget so It will just be some cheap tyres for now but my question really is will the stock 4.0 have enough power to push 33 or 35 or whats reckomended. It is also my daily driver so the suspension has to be quite reasonable on road as well as off-road.
Thanks for any suggetions</STRONG>

Ok, although I love all these guys, before they slap you down so that you never want to ask another question on the web ever again.
Come to this BB and talk to a few Aussie jeepers. The info there is more important to you as it is locally related.
http://rubicon.extremejeep.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Jeep+Forum&number=1

You will get all the information you need and can then come back here and ask the hard stuff.
<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
Or just see the last time Camo rolled his rig, or get in arguments with people about whether a Dana60 is that much stronger than a Ford 9", or D300 v's Atlas, blah, blah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
dude - get the fawk out of here! go get some experience wheelin' and fixin' your stock rig - then decide - don't waste precious internet bandwidth asking other people you don't even friggin' know for advice. get a mind, and make your own friggin' decisions!

oh yeah, <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> , newbie!

jeez! what has this board come to?? this post has been up for over an hour and no flames!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Originally posted by Skitzo:
<STRONG>dude - get the fawk out of here! go get some experience wheelin' and fixin' your stock rig - then decide - don't waste precious internet bandwidth asking other people you don't even friggin' know for advice. get a mind, and make your own friggin' decisions!

oh yeah, <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> , newbie!

jeez! what has this board come to?? this post has been up for over an hour and no flames!!</STRONG>
Only here 3 months??? Looks like your the NEWBIE <IMG SRC="smilies/flipoff.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/flipoff.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Originally posted by Skitzo:
don't waste precious internet bandwidth asking other people you don't even friggin' know for advice.

Isn't that the great thing about the internet? That you can get advice/tech info from people who are more Knowledgeable on a subject than you, or maybe you can offer some info to someone on something you know know about. I don't "know" my mailman, but if I had a question about the postal service I would ask him. I recently posted a question to these people who I don't "know", and I got all the information I needed (with no bullshit I might add). Anyway I will stop my rant now so someone can start flaming me.

BTW: I usually like the flame posts, but that one struck me wrong, although I do agree that JU would have been a better place to post that question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,477 Posts
Originally posted by Skitzo:
<STRONG>jeez! what has this board come to?? this post has been up for over an hour and no flames!!</STRONG>
I don't have the energy anymore. They've worn me out. <IMG SRC="smilies/sleep.gif" border="0">

Aussie bro, go out and beat the crap out of it. Have fun. Come back here and do searches. You'll find more frigg'n info on that thing that you can read in a year.

Welcome aboard newbie! <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
oh, that's right, jeepdude - i forgot, on this board newbie status is based on keyboard time, not trail time - my bad. fawk you.

psoriasis, philarisis, whatever your name is, it was a flame, not to be taken totally serious. i guess if that struck you wrong - wait, why am i even responding to somebody with such thin skin?? nevermind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Skitzo,
Sorry man, didn't mean to come off as such a d!ck. I was pissed off and drunk (skin thins with alcohol!) Flame on! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Originally posted by Damage Man:
<STRONG>Just got Myself a stock 99 TJ and well the first thing I noticed was how bloody low it is so I need some suggestions as to how much lift and what size tyres to run. I am on a very limited budget so It will just be some cheap tyres for now but my question really is will the stock 4.0 have enough power to push 33 or 35 or whats reckomended. It is also my daily driver so the suspension has to be quite reasonable on road as well as off-road.
Thanks for any suggetions</STRONG>

Get yourself some 31" mud terrains and sway bar disconnects. That'll get you on the right path. With just those, a stock TJ will go far. If you feel you need a little more clearance, get a 2" budget boost. It's inexpensive and can be used later on top of lift springs.

Just remember, the higher you go, the worse it usually becomes on the road. and the price of tires goes way up. Because it's your DD (daily driver), you're going to want to keep those things in mind.

If you're set on getting up to 35's, you're gonna need a new rear axle unless you have the D44 from the factory. You're definately going to need new gears. You'll need a Slip Yoke Eliminator along with a 4+ inch lift (TJ guys correct me if I'm wrong on that. I'm basing my numbers off of my YJ).

Welcome, newbie <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0"> from a fellow newbie.

Remember, wheel it hard and wheel it often. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for some usefull information atlast.
I would like to go to 35's but I thought that budget wouldn't stretch that far. What about 33's though. I know I am going to have to change some gearing as it is already way to high. What is the easiest way of gearing the TJ down? Is there any way of changing the diff gearing?
I was looking at the superlift 4" lift kit with the rockrunner upgrade but havn't been able to find out how much they are and if someone imports them into Australia or not. If anyone has a rough Idea of Price $US or $Aus that would be great. I also read an article on RockCrawler.com that superlift making a 6" lift but cant find out any info on it at all.

Are there any other lift kits available that would let me run atleast 33's that I should know about?

Thanks

A page I made when I had a Cruiser
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
a 2 inch budget boost and a 2 inch body lift will clear 33s with out the need for the SYE and if you do the work your self it will only set you back less then 200$american(got no idea what money is anywhere else)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Originally posted by Skitzo:
<STRONG>oh, that's right, jeepdude - i forgot, on this board newbie status is based on keyboard time, not trail time - my bad. fawk you.

psoriasis, philarisis, whatever your name is, it was a flame, not to be taken totally serious. i guess if that struck you wrong - wait, why am i even responding to somebody with such thin skin?? nevermind.</STRONG>

LOL @ Skitzo...Man YOU sound like the one with thin skin... <IMG SRC="smilies/crybaby2.gif" border="0"> ....BTW Look at your membership desc NEWBIE <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">

Damageboy,
Head over to theAussie Jeep Page for info that will help you more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Originally posted by Damage Man:
[QB]Thanks for some usefull information atlast.
I would like to go to 35's but I thought that budget wouldn't stretch that far. What about 33's though. I know I am going to have to change some gearing as it is already way to high. What is the easiest way of gearing the TJ down? Is there any way of changing the diff gearing?
I was looking at the superlift 4" lift kit with the rockrunner upgrade but havn't been able to find out how much they are and if someone imports them into Australia or not. If anyone has a rough Idea of Price $US or $Aus that would be great. I also read an article on RockCrawler.com that superlift making a 6" lift but cant find out any info on it at all.

Are there any other lift kits available that would let me run atleast 33's that I should know about?
[QB]
I'll second Wooders link. Local guys will be able to help you out alot more. For a lift, I'd look into an Old Man Emu setup. I believe that's made by ARB which happens to be an Aussie company. You won't have to worry about importing a lift. An OME 3" kit should be able to fit 33's. If not, a 1" body lift should finish the job.

I'm not sure what rear axle you have, but with 33's on the dana 35, go easy on the skinny pedal, especially if you're gonna lock it when you regear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
No dana35's for our TJ's....We get the Dana44 stock <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,620 Posts
Swamp TJ,

That was great...I was reading along, thinking, oh no....

Then that pic pops up.....GREAT laugh!

Thanks
<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/eek.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/bounce2.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/clown.gif" border="0">
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top