Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, have an '85 truck that I just bought and am fixing some issues with right now. It didn't go straight down the road, but I figured that issue out (tire pressure difference from left to right side in front), but now I'm still trying to figure out how I can center the steering wheel. It's off about 45 degrees to the right, is there a simple way to adjust this? I thought maybe the drag link from the pitman arm to the J-arm would be adjustable, but it doesn't appear to be, or maybe it's too covered in grease and I'm not noticing where it can be adjusted.

Can anybody give me any wisdom here? The truck tracks straight down the road, the steering wheel is just off-centered.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
pull off the front of the steering wheel and there should be a nut behind it. Unscrew the bolt and the steering wheel should pull right off. Re-align the steering wheel and replace nut. Presto! it should now be straight

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you serious?

That's not normally considered the correct way to center the steering wheel... but if you're serious then I'll do it....

·
Registered
881 Posts
You may want to verify that the hardware inside the drag-link ends are OK.
There are 2 cups and a spring at each end. If one of those things have
broken or disintegrated, then it could be cause the steering wheel to be off,
not mention, be dangerous. If you don't have one, get a drag-link socket to get
the caps off.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... I'll have to check that, but I think it's OK as there is no play in either end of the drag link or in any of the rest of the steering. It feels really solid and there's no "slop" in any of the joints when I have someone turn the wheel while I look at it.

Does the drag link require a specific tool to take it apart, or what size socket is it? Should I just ask for a Toyota drag link socket at the parts store?

·
Registered
881 Posts
NotMatt said:
Hmm... I'll have to check that, but I think it's OK as there is no play in either end of the drag link or in any of the rest of the steering. It feels really solid and there's no "slop" in any of the joints when I have someone turn the wheel while I look at it.

Does the drag link require a specific tool to take it apart, or what size socket is it? Should I just ask for a Toyota drag link socket at the parts store?
Sounds like you are probably OK, if there is no play.
Get the DL socket anyway, makes working on the DL so much easier.
It is not specific to toyotas, many vehicles have this type of steering, not just
Toys. I got mine at NAPA auto parts, under $10 I think. Takes the place of a
BFSD, and is used in a 3/8 ratchet.
When you do take it apart, make sure you note the EXACT order that the internal parts are in, so they can go back the same way. And the 2 ends
have a different sequence, I believe.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Childsplay said:
pull off the front of the steering wheel and there should be a nut behind it. Unscrew the bolt and the steering wheel should pull right off. Re-align the steering wheel and replace nut. Presto! it should now be straight

thats not the way to center the steering wheel...There should be some sort of adjustment on the draglink. If you remove the steering wheel and put it back on 45* off, the things that reset your turnsignal will be off center. Most steering shafts I've seen have a "keyed" spline so the wheel will only go on one way.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Balsax said:
There should be some sort of adjustment on the draglink.
Nope, not on an 85 Toyota.

Either your springs have sagged or you've lifted it. If it's completely stock, I'd say your 20 year old factory springs have gone negative.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Canadian_Zuk said:
Nope, not on an 85 Toyota.

Either your springs have sagged or you've lifted it. If it's completely stock, I'd say your 20 year old factory springs have gone negative.
Stock springs, somewhat sagged... here's a picture with 32's:

·
Registered
470 Posts
red x for the pic. put a highlift under your front bumper and pick the front of the truck up a bit, you'll see the effect spring height has on DL angle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts