Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
on my yj (4 banger) i have a 10in electric fan in front of my radiator. it only comes on whenthe A/C is turned on and A/C is useless with a 4cyl, even on 4.88's. so today i unplugged the wire sending power to the clutch and controls in the A/C unit. so when i drove around today i ran around 175 degrees or so, as usual, when i drove around later today with the 10in fan running but no A/C compressor use, i ran about 10 degrees cooler.

so this brings up my question, do any of you have this set-up in your YJ's? i have seen it on maybe two others in tulsa and am wondering if it is a factory deal or not. ive seen a few jeeps with A/C with out it too tho....

anything wrong with running that fan onthe trail w/o the A/C compressor going? i wouldn't think so but i dont know enough to make a smart guess..

heres a pic http://www.bigredheep.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=download&id=84

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
If you like it running cooler, just put a cooler thermostat in it. If you tend to overheat on the trail and think this would help, power the fan with two relays in parallel. Actuate one relay with a thermal switch and the other with the a/c power wire. This way the a/c will turn it on as usual, and it will turn on by itself when the temp is right. The relays will keep the 12v isolated to the correct circuit when in use and allow for better current draw to the fan. Leaving it on all the time will just cause the thermostat to do all the regulation of temperature and put a load on your electrical system. If your alternator is up to the task, it should not be an issue.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldnt leave the fan on all the time, just on trails as it starts to heat up, what is the thermostat controlling? the engines fan is always running, and the aux. fan runs at a speed set by the temp knob on the a/c controls. i guess i dont understand the whole cooling system well yet

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The thermostat is regulating the amount of water going from the engine to the radiator. A cooler thermostat will allow the water to enter the radiator at a lower temp and will keep the engine running at this temp as long as your radiator is capable of cooling it. Even though your fan on your engine is always turning, it is only cooling your engine once the thermostat is open. A bit of economy could be had by switching to a thermal clutch on your engine mounted fan. The fan would only be used when the heat of the radiator calls for it. The electric fan would just kick in when the engine mounted one could not keep up with the heat or when the a/c was turned on if wired as I previously stated. Just a couple of ideas. Hope this doesn't sound too basic, I may have misunderstood your question.

·
Registered
589 Posts
YOUR JEEP IS FAWKING AMAZING! You mean to tell me that when you "hot-wire" your aux fan, the engine actually runs cooler? I have never heard of that. So many of us have problems with overheating while waiting in traffic at the mall. I haven't been able to get those street-glow light kits yet because I was scared they might put out too much heat. Can you tell me how you wired your fan? You are soooo cool!

:flipoff2: fawker!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
naw, thank you, now it's comfirmed you are a douschebag! YOU'RE the cool one man. i posted up a legit question, on if i should run this fan as the engine heats up more, and at least someone replied with helpful info. now your quite lame post would be funny if i was making claims of how great it is, and how i spent hours fabbing up some extravagant fan and wiring, but i wanted to know if it was a good idea to run it at all.

yeah, since i have a 4cyl, and it runs cool in the first place, and i possibly found a way to improve temperatures even more... i guess im not hardcore. i need a rigged 350 with pisspoor cooling to be cool i guess.

Here's to you asshat! :shaking:

·
33,755 Posts
mike93yj said:
naw, thank you, now it's comfirmed you are a douschebag! YOU'RE the cool one man. i posted up a legit question, on if i should run this fan as the engine heats up more, and at least someone replied with helpful info. now your quite lame post would be funny if i was making claims of how great it is, and how i spent hours fabbing up some extravagant fan and wiring, but i wanted to know if it was a good idea to run it at all.

yeah, since i have a 4cyl, and it runs cool in the first place, and i possibly found a way to improve temperatures even more... i guess im not hardcore. i need a rigged 350 with pisspoor cooling to be cool i guess.

Here's to you asshat! :shaking:
if you have to defend you post as being "tech worthy" then you've already lost. You're in the wrong forum. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts