Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what's the best way to store a crankshaft. I seem to remember someone telling me once not to either lay them on their side or on end. One of them is the better way so that it won't distort any over time. Just picked up a 258 crank for the 4.0L and won't have time for a couple of months to put it in. Just was wondering how I should store it. thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
im gonna tell you like my Hipo teacher told me, If its gonna bend by laying it on the ground it doesnt need to be put in any engine. AKA the only reason people hang them or sit them on end it for storage reasons.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its supported in the engine correctly by the bearings and not when laid on its side. ever heard of creep? It only has to distort one thousand of an inch to ruin the shaft. I know i've had engine builders tell me one is better than the other. Which one is it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I was thinking on end but wasn't sure. Its already in a trash bag, lubed up and standing on end. :D

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Why not just hang it? Space providing, use 2 pieces of angle, and hang it like a wine glass upside down. Or, use bailing wire and hang it off a ceiling stud well out of the way. Either method will assure a long lasting crank.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Nothing makes sense. If you hang it then the forces are concentrated on a single counterweight. If you stand it up then each counterweight and throw are subjecct to uneven forces. Lie it down and the forces are concentated on the contact points... put it in an antigravity chamber and then the former gravitational forces are allowed to release... :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
i've just heard to never lay it down.. stand it up or hang it..

i've never ordered a crankshaft (unlucky me) but is it true that they packaged supported at the journals so as not to distort or warp???.. i think if companies go thru that much trouble i'm not gonna lay it on its side either.. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
florida4x4 said:
... put it in an antigravity chamber and then the former gravitational forces are allowed to release... :confused: :confused:
LOL. Putting it into space in zero G would be the ideal way to store it.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Like i said it wont hurt it to lay it on its side, the only reason it stand it up is to save space and make it less likely to roll around. If it would distort just by laying it on the ground then it was junk even before you layed it on the ground.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Yeah, you said that, and I think you're wrong. You won't find any credible machinists or builders (your "Hipo" teacher doesn't count) that lay their cranks on the ground.

Cranks DO come shipped with the journals supported.

Hang it or stand it up, and yes it is a very good idea to tie it off if you stand it.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
you wont find any one storing them flat cause they take up to much space that way, when you are dealing with a ton of cranks its easier and takes less space to stand them up.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
I had the crank to a 305 on the ground, on its side, for at least 6 months, It worked 100% ok. Hell, in the shop, I have seen a few dropped right on to one of the counter wweights, and the damn thing worked fine. I agree that it wont hurt to take the extra precaution, but I dont think the side will affect it

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
If your crank sits vertically, all the weight concentrates on the lower bearing journals. If it lays horizontally, you have at least three points of contact, and I would be very surprised if something with a cross-section as large as a crank will deform by its own weight. Has anyone actually seen a crank do that??

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
put my vote in for standing up, even if it doesnt need to be it cant hurt.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Cat ships cranks laying flat w/o any support on the journals. The only reason that we store cranks standing up is to save floor space.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
TR said:
im gonna tell you like my Hipo teacher told me, If its gonna bend by laying it on the ground it doesnt need to be put in any engine. AKA the only reason people hang them or sit them on end it for storage reasons.
It is good to know there are teachers as bright as that out there, heh...

Wow...
:eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts