Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of doing a straight axle conversion on my 86 fullsize bronco. Here is what i would like to do.

Fabritech straight axle conversion kit.(Any body use it or know how much quality is in it)

77-79 1/2 ton dana 44 with c bushings. put 3/4 ton ford outers for the 8 lug and for the twin piston calipers. 4.56 gears and a arb air locker

30 or 35 spline dana 60 fullflaot rear. with disk brakes and 4.56 gears and arb air locker.

6-8 inches of total lift and 37 inch mtr's and 17 inch welds.
fuel injected 351 windsor c6 and np 205 t case

mainly going to be a reliable daily driver that is occasionally taken offroad.
so what do you thimk any suggestions
no dana 60 front (dont need it) and no 14 bolt (ford all they way)

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,321 Posts
for a reliable daily driver that is occasionally taken off road- don't you think all that is a little much?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
rokdog03 said:
Fabritech straight axle conversion kit.(Any body use it or know how much quality is in it)
It's pretty much a very, very expensive pile of shit.

Considering there's not much else in the kit that you won't fabricate or have custom made or get with your junkyard D44, I say save your money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
doing this SAS is pretty simple. just get all the brackets off your donor truck and bolt/weld them up to your bronco.
i found it easier than installing a TTB lift ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what shpuld i take from the donor truck. i dont like stock 77-79 radius arms so wich ones should i get. fabritech told me that the stock radius arms wont work any way cause of clearence issues with the transfercase cros member. was there a difference in frame widths between 79 and 86

·
Registered
71 Posts
You could use some James Duff Radius arms. I agree about the Fabritech kit. It's mainly for show only.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
rokdog03 said:
so what shpuld i take from the donor truck. i dont like stock 77-79 radius arms so wich ones should i get. fabritech told me that the stock radius arms wont work any way cause of clearence issues with the transfercase cros member. was there a difference in frame widths between 79 and 86
Doesn't make sense to me. For one thing the t-case doesn't have a crossmember, but the tranny does.... but I'm not certain how it would cause you problems?

Yes, frame widths were different.

The stock arms are fine, wrist one and be done with it. See this:
http://www.geocities.com/lars915/straightaxle.htm

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since i dont have the tools to do a job like this so who in phoenix is interested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts