Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ok im basicly a newbe to this straight axle stuff and i was wondering what all would be entailed in swapping my stock ifs front end to like a dana44. how much could that run me at the very least? how are different ways i could do it? any info would help. thanks :D

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
you will need a driver drop Ford axle, you will need to learn how to search, and you will need to learn how to handle a flaming, and I can assure you one is coming. best regards

·
Registered
529 Posts
Davethorik said:
you will need a driver drop Ford axle, you will need to learn how to search, and you will need to learn how to handle a flaming, and I can assure you one is coming. best regards

beat me to it... :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
To be honest, if you are asking those questions, you dont need a solid axle up front.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
This has been gone over enough to kill a person. You try the search function?

Search for these guys usernames, American (He has a thread about all sources for SAS's, DarkEternal he did an '01, Willyswanter, built a bad ass crewcab for offroad, he has alot on this site, as well as gmfullsize.com

Find a Ford Dana 60, don't waste your money on a 44, you'll keep braking the 44. The Ford will have Driverside diff, so it will match up with your driverside drop stock t-case.

This is simple straight forward stuff. If you don't have fab skills to make your own brackets. Buy either Offroad Unlimiteds kit http://www.offroadunlimited.com/
or Fabritechs
http://www.setstr8.com/

You can use Superlift springs for front off of the up-87 Chevy trucks
and similiar for rear plus blocks depending on how high you are going.

new front d-shaft, depending on lift height you may get away with stock rear. If not use Jesse on this board, his user name is OneTonCV
he owns High Angle Driveline, and also gives away a few shafts a month. http://www.highangledriveline.com/

Fab crossover steering, or buy from any number of sources on this board, so many people make 'em, but its easier that buttering bread to do your own.

Last but not least, brake lines. Lots of vendors in the vendors section can help you out.

Do some searching, and research. I believe Dark eternal has a website with what his cost him and a running total. Its not cheap and not for the faint hearted.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Take out all the IFS.
Brackets
Leafsprings
Shocks
Steerng
Brake lines
Driveshaft
Axle

With a Dana 60, rebuilt , 14b rebuilt, and all the parts, everyhting at cost : 6k.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
K5MONSTERCHEV said:
Take out all the IFS.
Brackets
Leafsprings
Shocks
Steerng
Brake lines
Driveshaft
Axle

With a Dana 60, rebuilt , 14b rebuilt, and all the parts, everyhting at cost : 6k.
Its far from cheap. I went close to all out (as much as you can with leafs) and myy total ended up at about 9k. Now this also included a rear 14 bolt and new t-case etc... My web site is out of date (been super busy with the actual swap and school) but I should update is soon. You can read it though to get ideas.

http://homepage.mac.com/darketernal/SAS.html

Its alot of work, and alot of headaches, but if done right you can end up with a hell of a truck. Im still working details out but its turned out pretty damn good. If you want to see my buildup there is a thread on gmfullsize.com about it.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7638

one thign you will find out real fast, dont skimp on things and it WILL cost more than you think. My original guess was 6k, it was alot more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a lot.. that website helped a bunch. well i think im gonna have to wait till im outa high school to be able to afford this...unless someone wants to toss me a few grand :flipoff2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
92chevyz71 said:
thanks a lot.. that website helped a bunch. well i think im gonna have to wait till im outa high school to be able to afford this...unless someone wants to toss me a few grand :flipoff2:
mommy said no, huh? :shaking: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
294 Posts
92chevyz71 do a search for my name on here and look at the threds about my truck, you can do yours just like i did mine if you find a t-case from a 83-87 chevy truck that had a np208 behind the 700R4 that t-case will give u a pass side drop like the pre IFS chevys and you can run a chevy axle it makes things a lot easier

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I helped my friend do a solid axel swap on his 92 chevy,

In just one week we fabbed, mounted and built the brackets using a sawzaw, and torch and free 1/4 inch plate

all the links we built from sch 80, an hiems, total cost, about 500.00 for everything.

front axel is a d44, that he robbed off a friends truck for 75.00, he wanted a 60.

he swapped in a divorced t-case he snagged for 125.00 or maybe it was 150.00

anyways, this is what can be done with some good deals and the knowlege and open scheule to put the time in the project.

since you sound like you are just getting into this I would not reommend you tackle this project, however if you have the tools, you may pull it off it if you purchased the kit or brackets.

Also dont waste your time on a d44 if you want to wheel on larger then 35's, but the d-60 will cost you, just a grand for the axels..then gears, locker, bearrings, races, king pins, steering ect....

good luck and do your home work first :beer:

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
92chevyz71 said:
hey ok im basicly a newbe to this straight axle stuff and i was wondering what all would be entailed in swapping my stock ifs front end to like a dana44. how much could that run me at the very least? how are different ways i could do it? any info would help. thanks :D
If you use the search feature you will find helpful threads like... THIS

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
what is wrong with just using the stock transfercase?

If it aint broke don't fix it!!!!

my stocker works fine

just my .02

·
Registered
529 Posts
nothing wrong with the stock transfer case, except the diff drop is on the wrong side to use a Chevy axle. Chevy axles are easier to come by.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
umm :confused: alright soo im gonna need a ford axle correct? what else needs to be changed from stock.. sorry for asking such dumbass questions...only 16 and want to learn this stuff

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but with the amount of work it is to pull off on a GM and with teh amount of money it's going to cost, you'd be better off selling the truck and buying a pre-88 K truck.

Either that or keep your truck and with the money you didn't spend on the SAS buy a pre-88 K truck to wheel with.

Justin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts