Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at swapping in a Sami straight axle in my Sidekick. Has anyone else done this? I am wondering what the gearing is for both axles. The Sidekick is an auto trans. four wheel drive. The Sami. was a manual trans. This truck is going to be for my girlfriend and will just be a mall crawler, no off roading for her. I plan on installing a header, flow master muffler and a cold air intake. I plan on running 33" Micky Thompson tires.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I am looking at swapping in a Sami straight axle in my Sidekick. Has anyone else done this? I am wondering what the gearing is for both axles. The Sidekick is an auto trans. four wheel drive. The Sami. was a manual trans. This truck is going to be for my girlfriend and will just be a mall crawler, no off roading for her. I plan on installing a header, flow master muffler and a cold air intake. I plan on running 33" Micky Thompson tires.
Sammi axle will be fine. Toyota would be better, but since you say it will be a mall crawler, the sammi axle is fine... You will need to get the trailtough birfields and the gears from another sidekick diff so that they match up. A lot of people will say dont bother with the sammi, but for your stated purpose, it should be ok. also, if its a mall crawler, why not just get an ifs lift or a body lift and be done with it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a Sami. I am cutting up. So I have the springs and everything else I need. This is just going to be something fun for her to drive. More fun for me I guess. I love the look on everyone elses face when this petite blond chick gets out of something cool like this. You should see the looks she gets when she takes my Unimog to the grocery store. I sometimes follow behind her in another car just to watch everyone else when she gets in and out of it. It is funny to watch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just finished mt sammi swap on my tracker. you will need to make a new driveshaft, shock towers,leaf spring mouts. and you will need two in wheel spacers. i used yj springs on mine

·
Registered
21 Posts
im currently building a sidekick with yota axles. i dont want to hijack but did you have to extend the front frame a lot to use the yj springs? i have the rear axle under with yjs and so far i think i need to extened the front frame?just wondering

1 - 6 of 6 Posts