Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I trying to figure out the best way to straighten a Jeep frame to rebuild my crawler. The plan is to get a used frame to straighten and narrow the tub, hood, and grill. There is a build over in the hardcore section but it does not talk about how it was done and the thread is 2 years old. I know I can just build another frame but I thought I would give it the old college try!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The frame will be factory and I just want to narrow the mid through the rear to match the width of the front.

The frame is not damaged!

·
Registered
396 Posts
That's a lot of cutting and welding. You have to cut the YJ frame just after your first set of body mounts, and take it in from that point back. There is quite a difference between the front and back. I'm sure it will be easier to build a new frame!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a lot of cutting and welding. You have to cut the YJ frame just after your first set of body mounts, and take it in from that point back. There is quite a difference between the front and back. I'm sure it will be easier to build a new frame!
I was thinking that and still might try it but I am also looking just making a new frame out of 2x4 box tubing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Although you might spend more in the end with the box frame. I think it's going to be more what your after. You can see in the picture the amount of cutting and welding you'll have to deal with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your plan is a lot of cutting And rework. You would be money and time ahead to build a new 2x4 frame. I thought about your same idea but found it faster to build the new frame. Plus the frame will be stronger.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your plan is a lot of cutting And rework. You would be money and time ahead to build a new 2x4 frame. I thought about your same idea but found it faster to build the new frame. Plus the frame will be stronger.
Can you post some pics of your frame?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the pictures. I think I going to just build a new frame this winter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Frame is tappered front to rear with shackle reversal. Put in biggist X brace you can, my original frame had 2" twist & shift.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts